Chapter Six ; Can't Be Wrong

When I woke up, I didn't realize I was on the edge of the bed. So when I rolled over, I ended up on the floor. "Sweet mother of Jesus.." 

I hoisted myself up and rubbed my side where I hit it, only to be reminded of my injured wrist. I winced, cursing under my breath. 

Louis came out from the hall, eyebrows raised with a slight smirk on his face. "What is going on in here?" 

When he saw my expression he moved closer. "Are you okay, Claire?"

I loved it when he said my name. It sounded more like "Clah" than "Claire", but I loved it anyway. 

I nodded and smiled in spite of myself. "Yeah, just fell off of the bed." 

I was surprised that he was up. He didn't strike me as an 'early riser'. "What time is it?"

"Nearly eight."

Gosh, it was early. I fiddled with the string on the sweatpants Louis gave me, trying my best to make them tighter so they wouldn't fall off when I stood up. Thankfully I was successful.

"Breakfast is on its way up."

I blinked, trying to process what he was saying. It was way too early to be thinking at the moment. At the sound of the word breakfast, my stomach growled. I couldn't wait to stuff my face with the glorious taste of the one and only thing I will never lose; food. "Thank God."

I noticed my original mud-covered outfit was folded neatly on the bed. "Why-"

Louis seemed to know my question. "Harry has a laundry room in his flat. You can take them there."

I stopped myself from flinching at Harry's name. I knew that he and Louis were best friends - Abby never seemed to be quiet about 'Larry Stylinson' - but he made me feel so uncomfortable. My heart sank. I knew that if I saw Harry he'd tell me to leave, and I knew that I would have to. For Louis.

----

Harry's P.O.V.

Everything was very quiet until Clarissa rapped on my door. I clenched my fists and she continued, incessant knocking echoing through the room. I knew that this time I wouldn't be as hard on her, not when my feelings have grown this strong.

Eventually she let herself in. I refused to think about it at the time, but I admired her boldness. "I thought I told you to leave."

My voice was hard and unwelcoming. It had to be that way. I shivered, the draft in the room bothering me as I couldn't seem to find any of my t-shirts. Niall had invaded my drawers with his stuff and seemed to take all of mine.

"Sorry."

Normally I would be incredibly irritated by her attitude, if it was anyone else. I don't why I felt this way about her but I couldn't help it. She had so many amazing, annoying qualities. 

"Why are you here?"

"To wash my clothes."

I turned around to face her. She was wearing, by the looks of it, Louis' clothing, baggy sweat-pants and an over-sized striped hoodie. There was mud all over the fabric she was holding and immediately I wanted to pound the guy's face that did that to her. I knew it was her own fault, but who would gamble with someone that innocent until you had a heart of stone? Then I was reminded that she wasn't innocent. The cover of the book is a lie.

"Then get on with it and leave." 

I saw a flicker of pain on her face but it quickly vanished as she disappeared into laundry room. I laid down on the cough, my hands covering my face. What the hell was this? I couldn't have feelings for her. Even if it was okay for her to love any one of the band, it would only be Louis that she had feelings for. I knew she was angry at me, scared, even, and besides, I wouldn't betray Lou. He was my brother. I told myself that the feelings or her would pass and repeated it over and over in my mind until it became a chorus. 

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard something in the laundry room. Crying? I hopped off of the bed and raced to the laundry room which was only a couple of strides away, only to stop in the doorway. She was crying. I stood motionless. What was I supposed to do? 

My instincts took over. I held her and sang the first song that came to mind. 

"If you’re pretending from the start, like this,

With a tight grip, then my kiss

Can mend your broken heart

I might miss everything you said to me

And I can lend you broken parts

That might fit, like this

And I will give you all my heart

So we can start it all over again."

After I was done, I looked over her shoulder to see what upset her. There was a picture of her and another guy, at some kind of restaurant. They were smiling. They were smiling, a lot, and only looking at each other. I didn't know what this meant.

Her soft crying turned to sniffles. I exhaled in relief and let her go. Our eyes met before she squinted, something I noticed that she does when she confused. 

"Harry-"

I ran out the door before she could finish.