Cruel and Unusual Punishment

Kierra POV -

"Let me see your list." Aug said eating some of his shrimp pasta. We had stopped at Red Lobster, which was in the same mini mall as Pier 1 - a home decor and furnishings place, we were going to after we at.

I handed Aug my list as I ate a piece of biscuit. He looked it over eating his food.

"We can't get all this."

"Why not?" I said eating some of my lobster.

"For one we going to New York. So we have to save for that. And then, we still gotta have bill money babe."  He took a bite of his cheese biscuit.

"Then it's no point of me doing it then." I snatched back the list from him.

He tucked his lip and rubbed his hands together I know trying to prevent from going off on me in this restaurant.

"This was your idea not mine." I rolled my eyes looking at my phone.

"Ki you testing me." He proceeded to eat again.

"This is why I need my own money because I'm sick of depending on you."

"I'mma ignore you. Cause if I respond imma hurt your feelings." He warned me.

"It's because of you I'm in this predicament. I would've still had my good paying job."

"Hmm. So you been feeling that way for a while huh?" He looked at me.

I ignored him looking at my phone and eating.

"Aight. Now see if I was asshole I'd get up right now and make your ass pay for this meal. Ungrateful ass." He went back to eating.

I sighed and rubbed my temple. "Baby I'm not ungrateful I just often wonder did I make the right decision. You said if I quit, I would be pursuing my dreams and I haven't done any of that yet and it just makes me doubt myself that's all. Because I know I have the talent, but I just need the chance. And then I understand we don't have a lot of money after bills and other expenses."

He ignored me now scrolling through his phone.

"Baby you know I don't mean it. I worship the ground you walk on, you know that."

He still wanted to be petty and ignore me. So the rest of lunch we just ate in silence.

"Would you guys like containers?" The waiter came by.

"No." We both said.

"Just the check." August told him.

"Alright I'll get that right to you." He smiled then walked away to get the check.

He brought the check, Aug paid then we were out.

"Can we still go in Pier 1?"

"Why would I continue to help you with your dreams when I fucked shit up according to you? " he folded his arms peering down at my short self.

"I'm sorry baby okay. Damn. Can't I have one day of being angry?"

"Not when the shit pertains to me and my contribution to your mutha-fuckin life."

I sighed. "Okay you're right I'm wrong. I take the L."

He looked at me silent for a minute.

"Like I said before you started acting  like I said you couldn't get anything on the list, you can get the essentials to style the room. The next we gon have to get next pay period."

"Okay."

"Spoiled ass." He rolled his eyes at me and we started walking to Pier 1.

Even in his anger he held the door for me as I brought a cart in.