Pest

***yall stay saying somebody annoying. Y'all said that about Jazmine every damn chapter lol. Then y'all didn't want the story to end. Leave my female characters alone.

And before this chapter read my author's note on encouraging writers when you lose readers.

August POV-

"Bessie I'm not playing that shit with you today." I pointed at her as she bent down to do her daily ritual of chewing on my bun.

She let out a sound.

I bent down with the digging fork to scoop up her manure.

"Bessie!" I turned around she was all on me.

"Why do you do this everyday huh?" I looked at her.

She reached for my bun.

"You know what, you win. I won't wear it." I took my hair out the bun, putting the Bobby pins and hair bands in my pocket.

I started to clean her up but she did something unexpected. She laid on her back with her feet up. Like dogs do when they want you to rub their belly.

(Yes horses really do this. If they are trained to.)

Does that mean she wants me to rub her belly?

I put the fork down and slowly bent down and rubbed her. I smiled looking at her enjoy it.

"If I do this from now on Bess will you stop chewing my hair? Ki put a lot of effort into these buns." I chuckled.

I looked her over. She was a beautiful black horse, with a shiny coat. Very majestic like. Long hair that some of y'all women would kill for. ☕️

"That's all you wanted huh?" I asked her.

Bennett who was in the stall across from her made a sound.

"Nah Bennett you don't get this treatment. Ladies only."

I was convinced Bennett was a lil sweet if you know what I mean? 🍭

He made another sound. I laughed looking at Bessie.

I got an idea. I kept a small notebook in my pocket, sometimes I drew during water breaks but looking at the beauty of Bessie. I had to draw her.

I stood up. Got out my notebook, sat on a small haystack in the corner of her stall and got out my pencil.

She got up and came to me.

"Naw girl sit." I made a motion for her to sit.

"Sit Bess so I can draw you. " I stood up making the motion, then sat down illustrating to her.

She sat.

"Good girl." I rubbed her head.

I took my pencil and started drawing her. She squealed then laid her head on the ground.

"Negro what is you doing?" Jack walked in the stable.

I immediately stood up. "Umm...just taking a break." I hurriedly put the notebook and pencil back in my pocket.

"Break? The race is tonight. You need to be taking pictures. You forgot the camera on the desk."

"Oh right."

"Take pictures of each pile. Document which horse has which pile. Then print that info off and it's some Manila folders on my desk you gon put it in there. Here's the camera. Don't forget to record the correct horse, with the correct pile. We don't need no mixups. Then niggas will say we setting them up to lose."

I took it. "Gotcha."

"Get to it. They gon be here soon and want their folders."

"Okay. Sorry about that."

Jack left out. I took pictures of each manure pile. And then took a pic of the name on the outside of their stall so I would know which was which. It was six horses in the stable together and all had name tags outside their stall.

I went to Jack's officeand logged into the computer to upload the pics. I printed out the 40 pics of the manure and the name badges and put one set of each into the manilla folders.

"J I'm done printing this off."  I told him as he walked in the office.

"Now go out there to the track and hand them out."

"Huh?"

"Boy do you speak English? Go hand them out to the people."

"I ain't dressed to do that J." I looked at the work clothes I had on.

"What you need to be dressed up for? This ain't no damn prom. Just go hand them the folders and if they got questions, just answer. Now get to getting." He did a motion like go.

I felt a little uncomfortable going out there amongst them dressed and smelling like this, when most of the time they came dressed in suits. But hey it's my job. I'll hand these things out and get it over with.

I got the folders and made my way across the field to the track which was on the other side of the country club. It was a pretty lengthy walk from the stables.