Chapter 4

AUGUST P.O.V. -

I opened my eyes to see only a blur of lights. My eyes adjusted and got into focus, and that's when I realized I was in a hospital. My throat felt sore so I imagined a tube had been down my throat, and I was plugged up to an IV.

I don't remember how I got here. I just remember feeling weak and trying to get up and walk. Then boom. I don't remember anything else.

I looked over to my left side to see Camp and Kierra asleep in two chairs that were in the corner by the window. All I could think was I had to get out of here. I hate being confined, even if it is in a hospital. It reminded me of jail and it reminded me of my childhood. I didn't want to go back to that. I tried to pull the IV's out of me.

"Unh-unh." The doctor rushed in. "These are so you get the fluids you need. You were in a diabetic coma for three days."

"Coma?" I said weakly, trying to get out the words.

Camp and Kierra woke up and rushed to my bedside.

"Yes. You're going to be weak for a little while. You're going to need assistance doing daily routine task. Using the washroom. Bathing. Eating. But your girlfriend here shouldn't have a problem helping you."

Me and Camp looked at Kierra.

The doctor looked at Kierra then me. He must have noticed our faces. "She did tell me she was your girlfriend."

I looked at Kierra who was looking down at her shoes. I was really too weak to say anything now, but we were going to talk about that later.

"Did you know you had Diabetes?"

I shook my head no, slightly.

"Well you do, and you have to start taking care of yourself. Otherwise, it could be worse. I'm going to keep you in here a couple more days. Monitor you. Then I'll be able to tell when you can go home. Do you mind going to get him some soup from the cafeteria?" He asked Kierra.

"Uh...no."

"thanks. Make sure you get the corn and squash soup."

"Ok." She left out the room.

The doctor adjusted some things on the monitor, told me he would be back, then left out.

"How you feeling bruh?" Camp asked me.

"My head is pounding." I admitted and closed my eyes, trying to alleviate some of the pain. "What happened to me?"

"After you and Ki got into it, I went out looking for you. Next thing I know, I see you on the sidewalk, sprawled out with your head bleeding."

"I got stitches?"

"Yeah, you got a gash when your head fell down. Man if I would've known you were sick, I would've kept her off your back."

"What's up with your sister calling me her man?"

"Bruh I don't know. I ain't really fucking with her right now. This shit her fault anyway."

Kierra entered with some soup and put it on the table next to me. I looked at it, then at her.

"We a couple now."

"I only said that so he would tell me what's wrong. Don't get your hopes up." She sat back in the chair she was originally sitting in.

Camp pushed the small table over my lap, I tried to lift up the spoon to my face but my hand was too unsteady to hold it without dropping anything.

"I'll help you bruh." Camp helped me to eat.

"Now when it come to baths and stuff, Ki gone have to do that."

"I don't know him to be giving him no baths."

"I wouldn't let you see me naked if you paid me." I said smartly.

"And I don't want to. Trust me."

"Right." I rolled my eyes.

"Ki can you shut up." Camp looked at her.

"Tell him to shut up. He can stay with me for a little bit, but he's not going to keep disrespecting me."

"If you got something to say, say it to me." I said. "I can find somewhere else to go. I don't need you."

"You know what..." She gathered her things. "Let me leave for I knock him back in a damn coma. Ungrateful ass."

"I'm ungrateful but you over here putting your crusty ass lips on me." I looked over at her. I might have been out, but I could hear and feel. And I felt when she kissed me. Her lips weren't crusty, but I thought I'd make her sting a little bit. 😂

"Whatever." She got her stuff and walked out.

My eyes followed her from where I could see her through the glass.

"What you talking about kissed you?" Camp asked me.

"Nothing man." I sighed. "Nothing."