Chapter 17

The car ride back was very, very silent, and very, very awkward. I couldn't tell why the boys were silent, but I knew, that for me, I just could not find my voice, like it was trapped deep down in my throat and just stuck there. I was finally drifting off to sleep when Dean's voice cracked like a whip, loudly, saying, "Hey Jules, you wanna get something to eat?"

My eyes peeled open slowly. I hadn't realized it, but my stomach was gurgling, growling, and biting with hunger. "Yeah," I croaked. Then, louder, after I cleared my throat, I asked, "What are you guys in the mood for?"

Sam told me, "We wanted to know what you want."

Dean looked back at me in the rearview mirror and mouthed, "Burgers."

I winked at him and said to Sam, "I am craving burgers right now. I want some so badly. Been wanting some since I woke up this morning. I don't know why." And it was true. I had been craving it.

He laughed and said, "You definitely are a part of this family."

I tensed. So did Dean. Sam was just as happy as could be and didn't seem to notice us, but the words he said stressed me out, strangely.

I didn't want another family. I had been perfectly content with the first one. Sam and dean were great, but I didnt want to think of them as my brothers. I wasn't quite sure how I labeled them. I mean, I had always wanted a brother, but the kind I imagined was not like this. I imagined my brother beating up boys who were mean to me. I'm sure Sam and Dean both would beat the mean boy up, but it didn't seem quite the same. I could see a brother beating up my first boyfriend who broke my heart, not demons that tried to hurt me.

"Oh, honey, you're in for a lot."

The person that spoke was not Sam, nor was it Dean. It was someone from the left of me, in the back seat. I slowly turned my head and when I saw a man in his late twenties right next to me, looking just as content as all could get out. It was the same man that took the gun before and dissapeared in thin air. His hair was short and light brown and he was tall. His head almost touched the ceiling of the car.

I screamed.

Dean swerved the car. "SON OF A BITCH!" he yelled. "JULES! What was that?!"

The two brothers looked back at me in matching expressions of horror. I looked at them, and then looked at the guy beside me. He just shrugged.

Their faces were both switched to confusion now.

"What are you looking at?" asked Sam, with his signature compassionate look.

I just stared at them, back at the man, and then back at the boys, and thought I probably looked like a person watching someone play ping pong. I knew I sounded crazy, but I couldn't help but know what I was seeing was real. "Nothing," I said, my voice echoing in my ears with the lie. "I guess I'm a little tired and hungry. It's nothing."

The man clicked his tongue as Dean turned around and started driving again. "The names Archer. I'm your new companion."

I just stared at him because I couldn't say anything without attracting attention from Sam and Dean. I mouthed for him to go away, but he just said, "Sorry, honey, no can do."

I mouthed, "Why?"

He smirked and said, "Because you, little lady, are going to say yes to me."

Without thinking, I hissed out loud, "I haven't thus far and I'm not starting now."

Dean kept driving, but he said, "Okay, Jules, what the hell?"

I just said, "I'm hungry. Now."

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Well, aren't you lucky, because here we are."