Chapter 16

"Alyssa," I whispered again. I wasn't in shock. I was more worried than anything else.

She laughed. "Oh, honey. Am I glad to see you. It's been so long. You've been away."

Something flashed in her hands. It was a gun. I stared at it for a few seconds, taking in every detail. It was black with an intricate design. I'd never seen it before, nor had I seen the design. It looked like something like a spell or symbol, like a pentagram, except not a pentagram. It had a different design. A circle inside of another circle with a line going through it. It almost skipped my mind, but there were tiny words inside of the bigger circle, surrounding the inside. To my human mind, it looked like squiggles, but I knew that another unearthly being would know what it said, exactly. I stared at it until Alyssa started to talk again, where my eyes flew to hers

"I've been hearing things about you, you know," she said, noticing where I was staring.

My eyes popped back to hers. "Oh yeah? Like what?"

Alyssa smiled even wider and twirled the gun in her hand flawlessly. "That you've been searching for this."

Is that it? I thought, rather dissapointed. It's just a gun!

"I see that look on your face, Jules. It speaks of disbelief. 'We came all this way for a gun?!' you think. It is a gun, yes, but oh, it is very, very important."

Then in a blink of an eye, she was out of my face and all the way across the room. "But you know that."

I got out of my dissapointed state of mind and said to her, "What happened to you?"

She smiled.  "What happened to me?! When you left me for better, you left me friendless and alone. You knew you were my only friend, and you still left! So I searched for an answer to where you were."

Alyssa laughed, but it didn't hold any happiness in it. It was cold and dark and I didnt know how to deal with the way my best friend was acting. Her red eyes were wild with both anger and hurt, but her voice was low and even.

I whispered, "I didn't want to leave you."

"But you did."

We looked at eachother with stares that could end time. Her look was angry but mine was sorrowful. I could practically hear her thoughts screaming that whatever happened to her was all my fault. And then she broke the silence with a low, threatening voice.

"So I looked. For several days I asked questions on where you were. And I met someone and got some answers from someone special. An angel." I kept a steady look, but the recognition in my eyes made her smirk. "Yes, thats right. An angel is the cause of all of this. Im afraid I can't tell you the name, but I can tell you that they are building something. And I helped him start it."

I rolled my eyes. "Let me guess. You guys are building an army."

If possible, she smirked wider. I was starting to get the feeling that this new vampire life was making her extremely bipolr. "Why, miss Julia, you are a guru full of knowledge. I congratulate you on your quick mind. Oh, man. I am so glad you left me. Without that, I wouldn't see the light in how worthless you are to me... To certain others, however, you are valuable, which is why I can't kill you."

I narrowed my eyes at her. There was something about her demeanor that told me she was doing something... I just couldn't put my finger on what it was.

As I tried to figure out what it was, she circled around me, slowly, menacingly. I was slowly growing more and more suspicious because she didn't say anything. Finally, I couldnt hold my voice in any longer and asked. paranoid, "What are you doing?"