Chapter 8

"Are we there yet?"

We had been driving in the car for only twenty minutes, but I was growing incredibly impatient.

"You're acting like a 7 year old. Just be patient," Sam responded.

I groaned, folded my arms, and slumped back in my seat like a two year old pouting, instead of a 7 year old.

Dean hadn't said anything the whole ride until now, when he turned abruptly into a parking space and announced, "We are here, young one."

The building in front of me looked intimidating. I looked up and at the sign and read it, gasping.

"You're taking me to learn how to shoot a gun?!"

Really.

They both laughed. Sam said, "I guess." at the same time that Dean said, "Of course! We must restore balance."

Freaking nerd

I stared open mouthed as the two men got out of the car and as Sam opened the door for me. I scrambled out and said, "But I don't have any money."

Dean gave me a look. "We weren't expecting you to have any."

"Oh."

We walked inside the building. Only a few people were there, shooting at targets. The three of us walked up to the window and paid for the spaces. Dean was a better shot so he was the one to volunteer to teach me.

I was good. Not to be arrogant, but it was like I was born to do this.

Dean said, "Damn, Jules, you are a natural."

Okay, I can be a little arrogant.

It was 20 minutes in when I asked him the question that had been repeated in my head so many times. "Dean? Do you know someone named Castiel?"

He slowed his movements a bit. "Yes... Why?"

"Well, I..." something changed in me, and my mouth shut on its own accord. I tried to turn around and finish my sentence but my body wouldn't let me.

And that's when it clicked.

I was no longer in control of my body.

Over the roaring in my brain that came on all of a sudden, I could hear Dean say, "go on..."

My own voice, without my permission, said, "Oh, it's nothing."

I knew it was a demon. It was obvious, because what else could it have been? Vampires didn't controls minds, from what I'd heard. Neither did shapeshifters. I'd heard witches can, but I had the strongest feeling it wasn't a witch because I felt icky and weak.

The demon inside my mind fought me. It took me so much willpower for me to just whisper, "Dean... Help me."

I watched as his eyes widened with realization. And that was when I lost all control of my body.

My arms pushed Dean off of me, with a new strength that I hadn't had before. He flew all the eay to the other side of the room, leaving his knife beside me. Sam, who was right next to Dean when he landed, stared at me. His arms held a bit of food, and he dropped a bit of it.

Any other circumstance and I would have laughed.

My head whipped towards his and I said, in a slow, agonizing tone, "Ahh, Sam and Dean Winchester. It has taken me so long to find you. You're very good at hiding, you know."

Dean, who was struggling to stand up, growled, "Get out of her."

"I don't think I will." I heard my voice say. It was a weird thing, to hear your voice say something you've never said. My mind and soul were exhausted from fighting against this demon inside of me.

Through all this, Sam just stood there, and I could tell he was trying to think of some way to get it out of me without hurting me.

"She's got a very intelligent mind, this one. She just doesn't know it yet," said the demon.

Dean laughed. "Are you complimenting her?"

"Actually, I am. But not for you. This girl right here will be the cause of death to someone you love. And she will do it with the strength of her own mind, her own power. If you want people to be safe, give her to us. We can help her."

Sam snapped out of his trance. "Who are you working for?!" he shouted.

"You have already asked one of my followers this. You shall know when the time comes...." Then it paused, and started to talk to me through its mind, so no one on the outside could hear us.

"Jules," it said, " I am your friend. We are destined to be one. Let me have your body, and you will be rewarded. You destroyed one of my followers with just one sentence. No one has ever been able to do that, to any demon before. Me and you-- we are meant to make each other stronger."

With each word it thought, I got angrier and angrier. "I am not meant to be a tool for you," I thought back.

"You are, though, Julia. I have had a recent revelation, and I need you."

"I don't need you though."

"Not yet."

A strike of fear and frustration shook me. Energy and adrenaline coursed itself through my thoughts and I was able to take control again, but I had only moments.

I ran forwards a few feet and grabbed the knife Dean left on the ground, knowing it would get rid of the demon. I didn't care about myself, I just needed this thing to die.

Vaguely, I could hear Sam running towards me. He was all the way on the other side of the building, though, so I was able to do what I needed to do.

Ignoring the demon that was scratching and tearing at my mind, leaving mental scars, I looked at Sam and said, "I'm sorry."

Right as I rammed the knife into my stomach, black smoke flew out of my mouth. It felt like my stomach and lungs were being jerked from the inside. It tasted bitter and cold.

He yelled, "Jules, no!" but it was too late.

Before I hit the ground, it wasn't Sam, but Dean that caught me. He must have moved extremely fast to get to me in time. He was breathing heavily but still, he caught me. He said one thing to me before the stinging pain in my side was too much to handle and I lost consciousness. He said, "I got you. I got you."