Chapter 19

• Dedicated to my three year old brother :)

Savannah's POV

Mark and I stayed at the beach until the wind was too much to handle. When we got back, we discovered that the Greens (Kaylen's family) and Collins (Mark's family) had returned.

"Savannah!" Kaylen screamed as she enveloped me in a big hug.

I hugged her back, laughing at my best friend's enthusiasm. I looked down when something wrapped around my leg. Kayson, Kaylen's three year old brother, hugged me. "Hey Sabannah," he said, no quite able to pronounce his V's.

"Hey Kayson!" I said with a big smile. I bent down and returned his hug when Kaylen let me go. "I've missed you buddy!" He grinned then skipped away to play with Karson, his six year old brother.

Kaylen's parents had their kids in two sets. First was Kaylen, who was sixteen-almost seventeen and her sister Karly who was thirteen. Then, seven years later, Mrs. Green had another set of kids (six year old Karson, and three year old Kayson). Maybe, just maybe, you've noticed she has a thing for names that begin with a K? It always amused me when she tried to call her kids. She always would get tongue-tied and mis-pronounce names. But then again, who wouldn't with all the kids?

I greeted Karly and Mr. and Mrs. Green before turning to Mark's parents. I saw my boyfriend standing between Mr. and Mrs. Collins, watching me with a smile. I walked to him.

"Mom, dad? This is Savannah, the girl I told you about," Mark said.

"It's nice to meet you," I said, shaking their hands.

"Savannah," Mark continued. "My mom is Grace, and my dad is Greg...just so you know, I mean."

I smiled my thanks. Mark came and stood next to me, placing one arm over my shoulder. I was talking with his parents about my school and family when Kayson interrupted. "Sabannah! Come see the slide on our pool!" he said as he grabbed my hand in his much smaller one.

"Kayson, baby," Mrs. Green said. "Savannah probably doesn't want to see it right now. And it's cold outside."

I saw tears welling up in Kayson's round hazel eyes. "No, I'll go!" I said. "It's totally fine."

"Why don't we all walk out there?" suggested Mrs. Collins. "We haven't seen it either."

So each of us donned our jackets and walked out on the deck. After admiring the slide to Kayson's satisfaction, the adults stood by the door, talking about the renovations that Mr. Green had done when they moved into their new house.

Mark, Kaylen, Karly, Karson, and I were standing by the diving board, just talking. As I was listening to Karly relate her soccer story to us, I saw Kayson flailing his arms. I knew that he didn't really know how to swim yet. Fear swept over me as I realized he had slipped while running from the slide to us. I watched in horror as he tumbled into the ice-cold pool and screamed "Kayson!! nooooooooooooo!!"

Before I had even finished screaming, I was in the freezing pool with the little boy. I landed right next to him. All I could see was his arms thrashing around, and his face going in and out of the water. Time seemed to creep along as I was pushing Kayson towards the wall and held him up. My head was submerged under the water. I fought to see as I held Kayson.

When I reached the wall with him, I realized that the adults had noticed. Everyone had rushed over, but no one else had entered the water, seeing that he was okay and that I had him. I pushed the 'chunky monkey' upwards, and Mr. Green lifted him out. 

My teeth chatted as Mark helped me up, asking me if I was okay. Mrs. Green was crying and Kayson and I were the center of attention.

"I've got to get you inside, babe," Mark said, pulling me towards the house. Kayson was being carried in by his parents to get dried, changed and warm.

Kaylen ran a hot bath for me and Mark got my clothes out of his truck. An hour later, I was sitting at the table with Kayson and everyone else, drinking hot cocoa. My teeth chattered uncontrollably.

Kayson was completely fine. The episode hadn't scared him in the least. He was, of course, loving being the center of attention. 

"Savannah, you saved Kayson. I don't even know how to thank you," Mrs. Green blubbered, beginning to cry again. "You saved my baby. Thank you so much."

Mark squeezed my hand under the table. "I didn't really think about it," I said honestly. "It was just reflexes. I'm just glad he's okay." I managed to speak through my my teeth clattering together.

"Are you okay, honey?" Mrs. Collins asked. She noticed that I wasn't getting any warmer.

Now that I thought about it, I really didn't feel that great. I was freezing, but at the same time I felt like I was burning up. I felt slightly lightheaded. Just as I started to answer Mark's mother, I felt myself slipping into unsciousness. I heard Mark shouting at me, but I couldn't make my mouth form words to answer himi. The black enveloped me, and I gave in to it.

Mark's POV

I was holding Savannah's hand, wishing there was something more I could do for her. When Mom noticed she didn't look very good Savannah looked up at her. It seemed to dawn on her that she wasn't feeling well. Suddenly her face paled, and her eyes closed.

"Savannah!" I shouted. Her body slumped in the chair. She started sliding out of her seat. I grabbed her limp figure before she hit the floor and cradled her to my chest. "What now?" I said, panicked. I glanced wildly between my relatives. 

"Couch," Aunt Marsha said, pointing to the den.

Karly, being the sweet girl that my little cousin had always been, took Kayson and Karson to play while we saw about Savannah.

As I layed my girlfriend on the couch, she stirred. She's waking up! I though joyously. Savannah blinked her eyes a few times and looked at the people huddled over her. "I'm so tired," she mumbled. "And cold and hot. What happened?"

"You fainted, pal," Kaylen said. "No more of that okay? You scared the mess out of me in there. You better not ever do that again."

Savannah offered a weak smile at her best friend. "I'll try not to," she said,

Mom felt her forehead. "She's got a fever," she said. "Let's get her some blankets to warm up and get some fever reducer. Did I mention my mom is a nurse? If not...my mom is a RN who works at a general practitioner's office.

Kaylen and I held Savannah's hands, trying to keep her awake. "Wanna watch a movie?" Kaylen asked.

"Sure," Savannah murmered, her teeth still chattering as she spoke. "Anything."

My dad and uncle realized that Savannah wasn't seriously ill, so they retired to the kitchen. Kaylen and I sat Savannah up, and sat close to her on either side. Aunt Marsha and Mom wrapped blankets around her and I pulled her close after they gave her some medicine.

I kissed the top of her damp head. Kaylen smiled at me. Mom and my aunt settled into the other couch to watch the movie while keeping an eye on Savannah.

A few minutes into the movie, Savannah dozed off. I held her close against my side and Kaylen held her hands. "She's gonna be okay, right?" she said.

"Yes, she'll be okay," Mom said. "Let's just keep an eye on her. We can let her sleep the fever off, okay?"

"Okay," Kaylen and I said simultaneously.

Savannah snuggled up to me in her sleep. I smiled down, realizing that I had the best girlfriend ever.

Author's Note! IMPORTANT!

So yeah. What did ya'll think of this? I actually based part of this off a true story. Today my three year old brother jumped into the deep end of the pool with no floaties. And just like Savannah did in the story, I leapt in after him. That was the scariest moment I think I've had in my life, seeing him flailing around in the water. My dad turned to go in when he turned and saw my bro and I after hearing me screaming at my bro. But everyone saw I had him, so they just pulled him out. I thought I'd just do this chapter with a somewhat-real-life scenario in it.

Anyways. Comment, Vote, ETC!! :)

XOXOXO
     ~Dani :)