Chapter 12

My run with Mark was completely uneventful, thank goodness. I put in my earbuds as we left the house, and tuned him out. I was surprised he kept up with me. I didn't really jog--it was really more of a run. I was desperate to get the five miles done quickly, so I could escape Mark and his charm.

When we got back to the house, Mark asked me again to go on a date with him. I, of course, said no.....again. This time, he wanted me to go parasailing with him. I really, really, really wanted to parasail, but I didn't want to give in to Mark. I decided to just get Kaylen to go with me. 

The rest of the day passed uneventfully. We spent the day down at the beach, Kaylen and I reading, and Mark annoying us the whole time. That night, we made frozen lasagna, and watched a marathon of Disney shows. Mark complained at the beginning, but after an hour, he was focused on them, just like us.

"What happened to 'this is so dumb', Marky?" Kaylen teased.

"Shut up," he grumbled. "I'm pretending to like them so ya'll don't feel bad about watching these kids shows."

"Yep, I'm sure that's it." I said. I elbowed him lightly in the ribs and stage-whispered, "It's okay, we won't tell anyone you like this."

"We won't?" Kaylen said. 

"Course not," I said. "We'll use it for blackmail."

"Dummy," Mark muttered.

 "Yep, that's us!" Kaylen replied cheerfully. We laughed.

We kept up our playful banter throughout the night. Around midnight, I got up to get something to drink. When I picked up on Mark and Kaylen talking quietly, I paused by the door to listen.

"You know she's leaving tomorrow," Kaylen said.

Mark sighed. "Yeah I know. And I still haven't convinced her to go out with me. I don't think she understands the I actually like her."

"No, she doesn't," Kaylen said. "Somehow, I don't think you'll be taking her out this week like you wanted."

"Why doesn't she get that I like her?" he complained. "I freakin' can't get her to go out with me."

"I don't know," she said. "But if you want her, you're gonna have to work for her."

"That's not something I'm used to." He said honestly. "I have never had to work for a girl. I always get whoever I want, whenever I want."

"Well," Kaylen said, "If you really like her, you won't give up. But I'm warning you. If you break her heart, I'll kill you."

Mark laughed softly. "I won't."

I decided to make my grand entrance. Well, it was supposed to be just walking through the door, but I turned it into a grand entrance. I tripped by the couch, dumping my water all over Kaylen and landing in Mark's lap.

Kaylen screamed when the water hit her, but Mark was laughing at me. "Well, hello." he said, setting me upright in his lap. "I knew you'd come around," he teased.

I pushed myself off of his lap and blushed. "Whatever," I said. I was thoroughly embarassed. My body was on fire where we had connected for that short period of time. Dang, I wish he'd kiss me. I thought. 

WHOA! Where did that come from? No, I don't want him to kiss me. No, no, no, no. He's a player. I don't like him. Whyyy did I think that? I'm losing my mind!

Kaylen spoke, interrupting my train of thought. "Well, I say it's bedtime, considering I'm wet and need to change clothes, and it's past midnight."

"I agree," I said. We all said goodnight and went to our rooms.

*****

The next morning, I woke up and packed my clothes. I said goodbye to Kaylen and headed out. I was loading it into the trunk of my car when Mark appeared beside me.