Chapter 10

The next day, Kaylen and I woke up early and went running. Well, I ran, and Kaylen tagged along. Her athleticism was more along the lines of cheerleading and dancing. We went back into the house an hour later, sweaty and tired.

I glanced in the mirror in the Green’s foyer as we walked through. Dang. I look rough! I thought. My hair was in a messy ponytail, and my face was red from the heat.

Kaylen and I grabbed water bottles from the refrigerator and crashed on the couch. She flipped on the TV, and turned to a reality show about singers. “I am so tired!” she exclaimed, laughing. “I don’t know how you run everyday! You’re even crazier than I thought.”

I laughed at her. Kaylen and I were so different, yet so alike. Kaylen had a personality that made everyone want to be her friend. Yes, everybody liked her, but she was also a good judge of character. So when we had gone to the same school, we had hung out together, because everyone was so superlicious.

Kaylen and I had met in sixth grade, when I moved to that town. We sat across from each other in our homeroom class. Kaylen had lived in Whitesville her whole life, but I was a newbie. She introduced herself to me after our first class together, and we quickly became good friends.

When we were in seventh grade, Kaylen joined the cheerleading team, but not for popularity like most girls did. She joined because she liked cheerleading, and was really good at it. At first, the girls had tried to be her friends, but Kaylen saw through their facades. She was nice to them, but wasn't friends with them. 

Our friendship just got stronger through the years. Guys always fell for Kaylen, but never for me. It usually didn't bother me. After the first few guys, I was used to being overlooked by all the guys whenever Kaylen came into the room. I honestly don't think anyone even knew my real name--I was always called Kaylen's friend.

The first time someone ever called me that, I was offended by it, and had gotten pretty upset about it. But, after awhile, I began to see it as humorous, and often laughed with Kaylen about it.

Though Kaylen was involved in many activites with cheerleading, and dancing, and stuff, she was always loyal to me. We had always been the best of friends.

"How can you not be used to running, pal?" I said. "Don't you have to run every week with cheerleading or something?"

"That's different," she said, pretending to whine. "I'm actually working towards something! You just run to run--and actually like it?!"

"You're pitiful," I said playfully.

"You're retarded," she retorted.

"I wouldn't go with that. I'd have to label her hot."

Our heads whipped around when Mark spoke. Kaylen rolled her eyes and I blushed. "The answer is still no," I said.

Kaylen laughed. "Rejected." she commented. Mark came to sit next to me on the couch, pushing Kaylen off playfully as he passed her.

He slung an arm around my shoulder. "So where are we going on it? Casual? Fancy? Medium?"

"Um, let me think...." I trailed off and he raised his eyesbrows expectantly. "None." I finished.

I stood up and smirked. He frowned at me. "Why won't you just say yes?" he said.

"It's not that easy," I said. I smiled and looked at Kaylen. "So what do you want to do today?"

"How about a girls day?" she said enthusiastically. Mark groaned. I nodded in agreement.

 "I'm gonna be soooo bored!" Mark complained.

"Eh, you'll get over it." Kaylen replied. "Go to the beach, go skydiving. You'll figure out something."

"Jerks," he muttered.

Kaylen and I left and went to our seperate rooms to get ready. I showered quickly and threw on some khaki shorts and a blue American Eagle shirt. I decided to let my hair dry into its natural curls, and I put on a little bit of mascara.

I was feeling too lazy to walk up the stairs to Kaylen's room, so I texted her and told her I was ready. She came down a few minutes after.

We got in her car and went to the mall. "There's this great massage place here," Kaylen said. "How's that sound?"

"Awesome!" I replied. "I haven't done anything like that in awhile. I'll pay for it, though."

Kaylen narrowed her eyes. "Then I'll pay for pedicures," she said. Kaylen's famliy wasn't quite as well off as mine, but they had plenty of money. I think that was one reason we were such good friends--we never had to worry that we were being used just for our money.

So Kaylen and I went and had a massage done, then got pedicures. We ate lunch in the food court, and decided to shop a little. We were passing a jewelry store when Kaylen grabbed my arm. "Do you know how long it's been since we got bracelets or necklaces that match?!" she said.

"It's been forever," I agreed. "We should look around and find something awesome." We looked around the store for at least an hour and finally settled on silver charm bracelets. We each bought the beginner chain, which came with a charm that said "BFF" in fancy writing. We each picked a charm for the other. I got Kaylen a charm that had pom-poms on it, and she bought me one that had an 'S' on it.

"These are so awesome!" I said.

"Is awesome your word for the day or something?" she said with a smile.

"I guess so!" I said, laughing with her. "I mean, what word is more awesome than 'awesome'?"

"I'm not sure, but we could probably come up with something!" she said. She flipped her long blonde ponytail over her shoulder. "So should we leave Mark alone all afternoon?"

I started to say something but she cut me off with a mischievous look. "Or do you miss him too much already?" she laughed again.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." I said, slightly sarcastic. "You are so funny, Kay."

We walked into Hollister and were browsing the clearance rack when Kaylen said "Well, do you like him?"

"Who?" I asked innocently, pretending to not know who she meant.

"Mark, dummy," she said. "I'm not sure on this one. Do you like him or not?"

"Well," I replied. I decided to tell her the truth. "I--".......

Sorry this chapter isn't very interesting! I just don't want to have too much Mark in it. What do ya'll think so far? Do ya like Mark? Or do you think he's too good to be true?

I'll upload again soon!! Vote, and comment please! :)