Chapter 11

"I.....I don't know," I stuttered.

"What the heck do you mean you don't know?" Kaylen said. A confused expression clouded her face. 

I sighed. "I dunno. Maybe I've watched too much TV or something. But I'm scared he'd just use me for like--a vacation fling or something. Ya know?"

Understanding replaced confusion. "Ah, I get it now."

We walked in silence for a few minutes before Kaylen spoke again. "Mark my seem like a player most of the time, but deep down he's really a good guy."

"Yeah. But still." I said.

We dropped the subject of the too-hot-for-his-own-good Mark. We spent the rest of the day browsing the stores. Kaylen and I each bought some clothes and shoes, not that we really needed them. As it neared dinner time, we decided to eat at a sushi bar before going to the movies.

During dinner, Kaylen brought up the subject of Mark again, but I changed the subject. I didn't really want to talk about him. We decided to see the 7:00 showing of a new romantic comedy that was playing. The movie lasted two hours, so when it finished we decided to head home.

Kaylen's POV

I loved my best friend to death, and I would do anything for her. But sometimes she could just confuse the heck out of me. I could tell she liked Mark, and I kind of understood her hesitence. But what I couldn't understand was her disinterest in talking about it. I mean, we always talked about EVERYTHING. I honestly don't think there is anything that hasn't been talked about between us.

We were in my car, a silver Toyota Highlander, when I decided to broach the subject of Mark one more time.

"Savannah?" I said. She was looking out the window, and turned to me when I spoke.

"Hm?" she said.

"Look, I think you should at least give Mark a chance." I mean, how awesome would that be? My cousin and my best friend together? Totally awesome! "He's probably not going to give up easily."

"I know." she said. "But like, if he wants me, he's gonna have to work for it. I'm not gonna take a chance of getting hurt. Come on, Kay, admit it. I've seen you hurt before by your ex-boyfriends or whatever. I don't want that. Especially when I'll always have that connection with him, since he's related to you. Ya know?"

I understood her even more now. I had been hurt multiple times in the past, and Savannah had always been the one to help me get over the guys, and find ways to distract me. "Okay," I said. "But when he wins you over, I'm gonna say 'I told you do'." I laughed, and she laughed with me.

"He won't win me over," she said confidently. I laughed at her. I knew that if Mark really liked her, like he said he did, then he wouldn't stop until he had her. And he would do whatever it took to make her fall for him.

*****

Savannah's POV

When we got home, Mark was in his room with the door closed, so I didn't have to worry about running into him. I think I actually did like him. But I definitely wasn't in the market for heartbreak.

Kaylen and I decided to go to bed early, so I went to "my" room, and she went to her's. I changed into my pajamas, and flopped down onto the bed. I grabbed the remote, and flipped through the channels. I decided on Gone with the Wind, one of my favorite movies of all times.

I ended up falling asleep with the TV on, somewhere near the end of the movie. I woke up kind of early the next morning and decided to go for a run again. I grabbed my Puma running shoes and tiptoed through the house, trying not to wake up Kaylen or Mark.

Epic fail.

I tripped over the rug in the hallway, resulting in a faceplant, along with a somewhat muffled scream. I laid on the ground, laughing at myself. I was starting to get up and attempt walking down the hall again, but froze when I saw a pair of very fine legs in front of me.

Mark squatted down in front of me. I hadn't even heard him come out of his room. "Why is it that you seem to fall at my feet all the time?" he said. He grinned. "I thought I told you if you wanted me to pay attention to you, that you didn't have to literally fall at my feet."

I laughed. "I can't help it. I'm literally falling head over heels for you." I teased.

Another grin lit up his face. "You are?" he held out his hand and pulled me up. I felt tingles shoot up my arm from the contact, but I ignored them. 

"Course not." I said. I winked. "Only in the literal sense of the phrase."

"Oh," he said. I thought I saw a flash of disappointment in his eyes, but before I could study it, it was replaced by confidence. "You will though."

"I will what?" I said, pretending to not catch on to his meaning.

"Fall head over heels for me. In every way." Mark's tone was playful, but his face was serious.

 "What makes you think that?" I said coyly. I pulled my shoes on while I waited for his answer.

He smiled. "You won't be able to resist my charm." Ah, the cockiness returns. 

"Whatever," I said. I added a grin so he didn't think I was brushing him off completely. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm gonna go run now."

"Hey, how 'bout I go with you?" he said, eyes lighting up.

"Um," I hesitated. Running was the time I used for thinking. Kaylen was the only person I'd ever run with. With Mark? Hmm. I wasn't sure how that would go. I'd probably end up falling on my face again or something crazy like that, just because he was distracting me.

"I'll try not to be too big of a distraction. And I'll catch you if you fall." Mark said.

Crap! Crap! CRAP! I just said that out loud!! Holy crap! I blushed furiously. 

"Agh, I'm leaving." I said, thoroughly embarassed. 

"Nah," he said. "If I don't go then I'll just have to tell Kaylen that you kissed me." He grinned mischeviously.

My eyes widened. "You wouldn't!" I gasped. 

"Why not? Just give me a sec and let me grab my shoes." he turned into his room and appeared in front of me again, with Nike running shoes in his hand. 

He pulled them on quickly and grabbed my hand. "Let's go!" he said.

Oh dear. This is gonna be interesting.