Chapter 14

Savannah's POV

The next day, I decided to go get a massage, like I had planned when Mark originally asked me out. It was a good excuse not to have to worry about whether or not I really liked him or if he really liked me and all that. Well, and I loved getting a massage! It was just a win-win situation.

I had slept late that morning, and gone for a massage early that afternoon. When I parked in my driveway back home, I was surprised to see my mom's car in the driveway. 

I grabbed my purse and walked inside. Even more surprising, my mom was sitting in the den, watching TV. "Mom?" I said, hesitantly.

She turned. "Savannah! You're home!" she exclaimed. She muted the show she was watching. "Come sit with me."

I was extremely confused. I honestly couldn't remember a time that my mom had gone out of her way to talk to me since.....well.....never. I dropped my purse and sat down on the sofa next to her. "Um, what are you doing home?" I thought you and dad were gone somewhere?"

"Oh, that," Mom said. She fluttered her hand. "I decided to come home early."

My mind was spinning. Is something going on with her and dad? Is she sick? Am I in trouble? What the heck is going on?! "Oh, um, okay." I said.

"I've actually been waiting to talk to you," she said. A light appeared in her eyes I had never seen there before. I couldn't possibly get any more confused than I was at that moment.

"About what?" My eyesbrows were knitted together, waiting for her answer.

"I got an interesting phone call this week." she said.

She didn't say anything else, so I waited. After a short pause she spoke again.

"From a young man. His name is Mark Collins. I think you know him?" she said.

My jaw dropped. "Why in the world did Mark call you?" 

Remember how I said I couldn't possibly get any more confused? Well, I lied. I felt like I was living in a world of mass confusion that I had no control over, and no understanding of whatsoever!

"It was quite sweet, really," she continued. "I guess her got my number from your friend...oh what's her name?"

"Kaylen?" I didn't know that my mom even knew Kaylen and I were close friends. She really was only mother in name--she birthed me, and occasionally checked in on me, but she had mostly given everything concerning me over to Lora.

"Yes, her. Such a dear," my mom said. "I always did like her."

I frowned slightly, perusing my mother. I took her in. Her brown hair, similar in color to mine, was fixed ina short bob, always perfectly hairsprayed and styled, never ruffled or messy. She had hazel eyes, framed by thin lashes, but she always made up for that by wearing fake lashes. She was dressed in khaki slacks and a black sleeveless top, silky with a beaded neckline. My mother was a perfectionist in every since of the word--she wanted her house in perfect order, her work in perfect order, her appearance in perfect order, everything.

My brain was trying to process everything. "Um," I said.

Denise Kessler (Savannah's mom)'s POV

My daughter looked extremely confused. I will admit, I was never the typical mother. When Savannah was born was about the time that my husband's business had really taken off. He owned a large company, Kessler Automotive, which produced car parts. I had made the choice to hire a housekeeper and nanny so that I could travel with my husband, Andrew.