Chapter 2

The next day at school, I was surprised to see Clay standing by his car, waiting for me. A smile lit up his face when I got out of my car. "Hey!" he said. He seemed glad to see me.

"Hello," I said, returning his smile.  I was careful to not hit him again when I threw my backpack over my shoulder. "Did you survive the load of homework they gave us yesterday?"

He laughed. "Yeah. Barely. It was pretty ridiulous. But I'm sure you're used to it by now."

"Most definitely." I agreed. We walked to class together again, but instead of stares today, people said hey to Clay as we passed.

"You seem pretty popular already," I commented, keeping my voice even.

"It must be my charming personality," Clay joked. He bumped my arm playfully. "Or because I'm with you."

"Ha!" I said sarcastically. "That's not it."

Clay turned to look at me. I gazed at his gorgeous eyes, before his voice brought me back to reality. "Aw, come on. They've gotta be talking to me since I came in with you yesterday."

"No," I said. "I'm not friends with them. They're talking to you because you're gorgeous." Oh crap! I just called him gorgeous to his face. Oh crap! Oh crap! "Uh, I, uh, mean--"

He raised his eyebrows playfully. "So you think I'm gorgeous?" 

"I, uh, I--well I was hoping you didn't catch that,"I blushed while I repied. "Sometimes my mouth gets ahead of my brain."

"Well, thanks. I'm glad you think that. I mean you're pretty cute yourself." Clay bumped my arm playfully again. I was sure my face was red. "But hey, knowing that makes me feel better about what I was gonna ask you."

"And what was that?" I asked. I regained my composure and assumed a playful tone. 

You're flirting with him. Shut up, Conscience. It's true. I said shut up. It's because you like him.Didn't I say SHUT UP? Fine. Fine. But you know it's the truth!

I suddenly realized that Clay had been talking to me while I was arguing with myself. Embarassed, I asked him to repeat the question.

"I said, I was wondering if you would, maybe, uh, go out with me after school today. Maybe a movie or something," Clay said.

I opened my mouth to answer, but we were in the classroom, and our teacher, Mr. Matthews told everyone to go to their seats. I sat down, thinking over Clay's request. Surprising, yes, and very tempting.

Told ya so. Whatever. You should go for it. Maybe. I don't know. Ugh. I've never been on a date before. There's a first time for everything. Whatever. Let me do these problems on the board. Leave me alone. Only if you say yes. Whatever.

Clay's POV

What was I thinking? She probably had a boyfriend, even though she denied having friends here. I sighed audibly, causing the girl in front of me to turn around. Her name was Katherine, and from what I could tell yesterday, she was dating the quarterback of the football team.

"Sorry," I whispered. 

She didn't turn around. Instead she said, "I wouldn't hang out with that girl you were with earlier. She doesn't fit in here. I could show you around," she said. 

I could tell that her last statement had a double meaning. "I'll keep that in mind," I said.

She turned back around. She was cute, but nothing like Savannah. What was wrong with me? I had just met Savannah yesterday, but I couldn't get her out of my head. She was gorgeous, funny, sweet, and not at all conceited. In fact, she didn't even seem to know her own appeal.

I argued with myself all through algebra, and gathered my books quickly when the bell rang. I caught up with Savannah in the hall. "Can I walk you to class?" I said, hoping I didn't sound desperate. But I was--desperate, I mean. I wanted to spend more time with her.

She looked surprised but nodded. She didn't say anything, but I could tell she was stealing glances at me ou of the corner of her eye. I wanted to stop and stare at her, and figure out exactly what was going on behind her brown eyes. She brushed her hair from her face.

"I like your hair," I said, unable to keep the words from leaving my mouth. She blushed. Obviously, she wasn't used to such compliments. I wondered why.

Savannah's POV

I wasn't sure what to think of Clay. Yes, I did kind of like him if I was honest. But guys had never seemed interested in me before, so I was definitely surprised. I was even more surprised that he was still talking to me. I had heard what Katherine had said. It was hard not to hear--my seat was right next to hers.

"Savannah? Did you hear me?" he said.

"Sorry, no," I laughed softly. "What did you say? I zoned out for a minute."

He laughed with me. "I asked if you had thought about going out with me. Unless you have a boyfriend, I mean...."

I had to really laugh at that statement. Me? A boyfriend? Ha. "No, I don't have one." He looked relieved so I continued. "But I do have plans to go to the mall after school."

"Oh," he said, disappointed. "Maybe I could take you?"

"I, um," I wasn't sure how to respond. I had just given him a way to back out of asking me out, but instead he rejected it. "Well, I guess so."

He grinned. "Sweet! Right after school?" I nodded, and we split up again to go to our seats.

The rest of the day, Clay walked with me to every class, and even sat with me at lunch. We had talked about our classes mostly, and a little about ourselves. When the final bell rang, I felt the butterflies start up again in my stomach. Yes, I was nervous. This was new for me.

As I walked out of my last class, English Literature, I noticed Clay get stopped by some of the guys from the football team. He left with them, laughing. They were all acting as though they'd been friends forever. I wasn't sure if Clay still planned to go with me, or if the guys had asked him to do something. I decided to just go to my car.

I was unlocking my doors, when his voice calling my name. I turned to see him jogging over. I wondered exactly what he was going to say....