Chapter 1

I sighed as I sat in my room, looking out my bedroom window. The leaf-less trees of autumn had a dreary look--they matched my mood. I was so bored. It sucked to be a sixteen year old girl with no plans for the weekend. I was lonely. My best friend had moved before this school year had started, leaving me with an empty schedule. Don't get me wrong--I wasn't a social recluse or anything. It's just that I've go to a small private school, where the other girls are snobs, and the guys are jerks. I didn't fit in.

I picked up my phone and texted Kaylen, my best friend that had moved. "miss u pal" I texted and pressed Send. She replied almost immeadiately with a smiley face.

I was about to sigh again when a knock on the door startled me so much that I almost fell off of the window seat. "Come in!" I said.

Lora, our housekeeper poked her head in the door. "Dinner's ready," she said, motioning for me to come downstairs. I went downstairs into the dining room, where my dad was waiting. I sat on his left, and glanced at him. My dad and mom were good parents-they provided me with everything I needed: food, nice clothes, a very nice house, a housekeeper, a pool, a nice car. Everything a girl could ask for. But they were distant emotionally. I can't think of one time that they have told me that they love me. It's a given, I guess.

The only time we were really together as a family was a few nights per week for dinner. And even then, the conversation was stiff and formal. This was one time I especially missed Kaylen. She was one of four children, and I loved spending time with her happy, loving family.

I ate quickly and returned to my room. Yes, I had a good life, by most people's standards, but it really wasn't that easy. I longed for another close friend like Kaylen. I longed for someone to really love me--a boyfriend would have been nice. I'd never had one before. Like I said before, the guys at my school were jerks. And on top of that, none of them had ever paid any attention to me. 

I turned on the tv that was hanging on the wall, and fell asleep watching some crappy soap opera.

*****

I spent most of the weekend that way. Watching tv, swimming, and sleeping. I reluctantly got in my black Honda Civic on Monday to go back to school. I kept the radio off, not in the mood for music. I parked in the lot and got out of my car. As I shut the door, I went to sling my backpack over my shoulder, and something bumped into me. Or should I say somone.

I looked up at a boy I had never seen before. He had green eyes and shaggy brown hair. "I'm so sorry!" he said, with an apolgetic smile.

He's cute! I thought. I smiled back and went to move, but he stopped me. "I'm Clay," he said, holding out his hand. "I'm new here."

"Savannah," I said, shaking his hand. I had to look up to see him. He was tall. But then again, most people seemed tall to me--I was only five foot two. I smiled again.

"Just my luck that the first person I meet here is a beautiful girl!" he said with a grin. "Maybe you could help me get around?"

Beautiful? That caught me off guard. I'd never really considered myself beautiful. I had shoulder-length brown hair and light brown eyes. I was definitely short, and I guessed I had a nice enough figure. But beautiful? Not in my opinion.

"I, um, sure," I said. "Let me take you to the office to pick up your class schedule."

For some reason, my heart beat sped up when his arm brushed mine. What's wrong with me? We didn't speak as we went into the building, but it was a comfortable silence. Not awkward, which was nice. He talked to the secretary as I hung back. I perused him as I waited. He was wearing nice-fitting jeans, with a green polo that matched his eyes. Wait! Why am I noticing these things?!

He turned to me with a smile and said "I have class rotation C."

"That's what I have!" I exclaimed, somewhat  excitedly. As we walked down the hall together I noticed some of the girls watching us. They were probably wondering what I, Savannah Kessler, was doing with a guy. 

Clay and I talked about our class schedule and I explained each detail to him. He was easy to talk to, and so gorgeous. I couldn't help the butterflies in my stomach. I wasn't used to attention from guys, much less one as beautiful as him.

In our first class, Algebra 2, Clay sat behind me. After class, a few guys introduced themselves. I couldn't help the disappointment I felt when he walked with them to our second class.

Clay and I didn't talk again untill after school. He had been busy getting accquainted with the guys and girls. As I went to get in my car, I saw him running towards me. I froze, wondering what he was doing. "Savannah, wait!" he called. He was slightly out of breath when he reached me. I raised my eyebrows. 

"See you tomorrow?" he said hopefully.

"Of course," I said with what I hoped was a somewhat flirtatious smile. 

"Good," he said. He turned and went to his car, which was parked behind mine.

You like him. Do not. Yes, you do. I'm your conscience. I know these things. I don't even know him! We just met today! So? You still have a crush on him. Whatever.

I got into my car and drove home.