Chapter 32 - Happy Birthday

Whether Gareth is jealous or not, it does not matter. We don't really have many chances to talk. I barely have time to visit the set lately because this new branch of entertainment my father is trying to create is consuming more and more time. And as if that wasn't enough, one of our possible investors is having a crisis. We were trying to lurk BEEB Group to invest on us and Typhoon, as they are one of the biggest companies in all Europe, but it doesn't seem the moment to do so. The only heiress of the company has disappeared after an accident, and not too long ago the owner passed away. It doesn't seem like the moment to approach them.

In the news I saw that Blanca Escobar, heiress of the biggest chain hotels in the world, disappeared after a tragic accident. At only nineteen, she was heading to some charity when the car lost control and rushed down hill. The car caught in flames, calcining the passengers. However, there were only remains of one human being, and it's assumed it was the chauffeur, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. As for now, the company is mourning.

I know that business has no emotions and it does not wait for anyone, but I can't just go to them, aiming to do business when they are facing such a difficult situation. It's too heartless and disrespectful, so I refuse to do it. Luckily, Father agrees with me and has approved to look somewhere else, or wait until they find Blanca Escobar. For now, I just pay them a visit just to offer my respects and pray that their heiress will show up, safe and sound.

So that tragedy has me even busier, looking for more investors for the post-production stage and to ensure everything, besides the new branch of the company Father started planning.

I've been so busy I don't even notice the days passing by and I'm at the office even during the weekends, in meetings, signing papers, and basically going over everything. I'm not just producing a film, I'm in charge of a whole company, which means I have to look for the next projects, buy the rights and everything else for the other projects we'll be working on. It isn't just Typhoon, although that is our biggest production at the moment.

When I see a chance to go to the set and see how everything is going, I seize it. I pray that everything will be okay and that aside from minor issues I won't have to deal with anything big. To be honest, I'm not even sure what day it is, I've been so busy that I stayed overnight in the office, I haven't even seen my family or had time to answer their calls. That reminds me, I have to call back Mum. She's rung me like a billion times already.

It's when I'm on set that I realise why she's been calling so insistently, because Cece comes to me when I text him I'm paying a short visit. However, he doesn't offer just his arms for me to rest for a while, he brings roses and a big cupcake with a candle in it.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Ann, happy birthday to you!" Cece sings as he approaches me, surprising me enormously.

I had completely forgotten it was my birthday, so focused on work that everything else faded in the background. And I'm not the only surprised one on the set, many other people have stopped to see how Cece is congratulating me for my birthday.

"Make a wish, Ann!" he exclaims, stopping in front of me and raising the cupcake so I can blow the candle.

I'm quite tired, so I just ask for the first thing that comes to my mind, which is for my father to get better soon so he can come back. And after I ask for that, I blow the candle. Cece cheers for me, and before handing me both the cupcake and the flowers, he gives me a tight hug.

"You're a legal adult, now," he says. "You grow so fast," he dramatises next, making me chuckle. "By the way, why were you so surprised?" he asks next.

"I had forgotten it was my birthday," I explain. "I've been so busy."

"You look so exhausted, honestly. I have another gift for you then, my dear Ann. You'll come with me and I'll give a facial that'll make you feel like new."