Chapter 25 - Earthquake

It's no surprise that when Earthquake, the third book in the Element Bound Series comes out, I go to the bookshop to buy it on the very day it is released. I know there are countless bookshops in London and I could even send someone to buy it for me. Screw that, I could just buy it online and wait for it to be delivery to my door. But I want to go to Wuthering Heights, see Ella and buy the book all at the same time. Besides, it'll give me a chance to fangirl with someone. I'm so excited that I've kept my distance from Terry for fear to go crazy in front of her and ask her all the secrets to know how the series ends.

It's been such a hard task.

So yes, I am looking forward to have someone to talk about it and express my own excitement freely. I go late in the evening, taking a detour from my way back home, after texting Ella to make sure she has late shift today. I don't think I'll find other costumers in the shop, which is why I also decide to go at this time instead of in the morning.

However, the moment I walk inside the shop I don't find her alone.

"How do you treat it in case it has been diagnosed?" a boy in front of her asks, holding a notebook. A pile of many other books is by their side and he seems to be timing her answer.

"For a case of resistance to insulin, besides the pharmacological treatment with an anti-hyperglycaemic like metformin, the patient needs to change their diet to a controlled one in order to stabilise the reserves of fat and avoid other health problems, commonly hypertension and high cholesterol. Furthermore, as it is highly connected with the emotional state of the patient it is advised to recommend them a therapist to keep them stable," Ella answers with confidence.

The boy stops the time and looks at her with a grin. "Good but not excellent. You forgot the extremely important part of the treatment: exercise," he corrects her and to top that he also flicks her forehead. I gasp at the same time Ella complains, but he only laughs. "If you keep making mistakes you'll end up with a permanent red spot on your forehead, Ella."

"Stop flicking me so hard then! I'm stressed, too, you idiot!" she screams, trying to hit him back with one hand whilst the other covers her forehead, but the boy intercepts her attack quite easily.

I have no idea who he is, but they seem really close. Could he be Ella's boyfriend?

"Then stop making mistakes! It's not my fault you always forget something," he shouts back, grabbing both her wrists and laughing at how she struggles.

"I'm gonna kick you. Let go of my hands, Charlie!"

The boy, Charlie apparently, immediately releases her and takes a step back, putting a safe distance between them and I can't help myself, I let go a small chuckle that alerts them of my presence. I blush immediately when I'm caught red-handed. I didn't mean to, but I should've said something sooner instead of staying watching.

"Ann!" Ella exclaims, recognising me immediately and forgetting all her fury against the boy. "Let me guess. Earthquake?" she asks next and my smile is the answer. "I knew you'd come. I have yours reserved," she continues and as I take steps closer to where she is standing, I feel so touched that she actually put a book aside for me.

"Thank you, Ella. I'm dying to read it," I tell her, keeping my smile.

"I'm sure you could've asked the author to give you a book before it was released or something like that," Ella comments and I shrug. I could've, but I didn't. "Such a honourable person. Seriously, are you hoping to become a saint or something?"

I laugh out loud, watching her going behind the counter where she retrieves the book she had even wrapped for me. I look at the boy that is quietly watching. He is tall and handsome, fair skin with a few moles here and there, big and warm brown eyes with a kind smile, his light brown hair is ruffly. He stares back at me, keeping that kind smile but at the same time making me a bit uncomfortable.