Chapter 15 - Background

Cece is someone extremely social and I really mean social. He can talk to anyone without any problem and have fun and everyone seems to like him. He makes friends instantly so at some point it's just Gareth and I because neither of us is the social type. However, between the two of us I'm better at interacting. However, I think Gareth would seem more interesting and people would be keener to find out about him whereas as I'm so average people can look past me without hesitation.

The point I was going for is that Cece leaves us alone so Gareth and I end up playing darts whilst the makeup artist is enlarging his social circle. Not that I mind or anything because although it seems Gareth also likes Cece and enjoys his company he isn't as comfortable when he is around. Or that seems because when it's just the two of us he looks more relaxed and open to answer about him or even ask questions.

"So you're an only child? No one else could do this for you or are you just the oldest one?" he asks at some point after mentioning how tiresome being the acting CEO of Tachibana Productions is. I just told him a bit about all the things I have to take care and keep an eye on and he seemed very impressed.

"Only child," I answer. "I don't think Mum would've minded having another child, she is so loving and it would've been great for her to have someone else to take care of, but Otousan—I mean Father," I correct myself because Gareth doesn't know Japanese so referring to my father by the polite term doesn't fit this situation. "Father is quite older than her so being a father when he's over fifty is not so wise. I would've liked having a sibling, though. Or maybe it would've been sad because maybe he or she most likely would've been bright and would've completely outshone me." I smile at him as if knowing that anyone could actually do that doesn't hurt me. I don't know if I fool him, but I don't pay much attention. I focus on the target again, aim and throw. "Yes!" I say when my dart almost hits the centre.

"Maybe it would've been better if you had an older sibling. He or she could've done this instead of you. It is quite a lot after all and you're still so young. You couldn't even finish sixth form, right?" he continues and I shrug after stepping aside and letting him stand in front of the target with a dart in his hand.

"Maybe, but despite everything I'm enjoying it. It is tiresome, I can't deny that, and more often than not I think it's too much for me and I don't think I can do it, but still, it's fun. I always saw Father making it look so easy and I thought he just provided the budget and everything else was the director's doing. Silly me," I laugh and Gareth nods. He is in this industry, he is aware the director doesn't make everything happen, that there's a lot more of work besides shooting. "It's loads of work but at least I like it and I'm excited to finally see this project completed."

"It'll be your first production. Surely that can't be compared to anything else," he comments with one of his smiles. It's small and doesn't reach his eyes but I'm sure it isn't because he isn't sincerely about it but because that's how he smiles.

"What about you?" I ask next when he is aiming to throw his dart. "Do you have any siblings? You've mentioned your mum before."

"Only child, too," he replies, throwing his dart and hitting the middle mark. He makes this tsk sound and shakes his head slightly whilst I beam because I'm still winning. "In fact it's been always Mum and I since I was a little kid."

"Just the two of you? What about your father... oh, sorry if I'm intruding. You don't need to answer if you don't want to," I hurry to explain when I realise how rude I'm being by asking such a personal thing.

Gareth shrugs and goes to the target to retrieve the two darts we've thrown and then comes back to hand me one. He steps aside so now I can stand in front of the target again to keep playing. During that time he just shrugs, as if the question wasn't a big deal.