23- Marble Tomb

Tonks's POV-

Waking up with Remus Lupin beside me every morning was like a bloody heart attack. It never grew old, being able to roll over and find familiar warmth or being woken up by a kiss. But the fourth time it happened, I wasn't as happy as I tried so hard to be. Because that day, was Albus's funeral.

"Good morning babe." I whispered, still barely awake. I was leaning on Remus's bare chest, having only just woken up. Taking in a deep breath, I sighed, tucking myself up to him. Remus leant down and gently kissed my forehead, twirling my now pink hair in his fingers, "Sleep well?"

"Fine thanks." He said blankly, still playing with the strand of pink, "Funeral today. I don't want to go."

"You'll be fine." I whispered, shuffling up to a sitting position and looking him right in the eye, "Albus knew what he was doing. He must have had it all planned. Don't panic. I'm here for you." He hugged me like there was no tomorrow, crying softly into my shoulder. I didn't even consider pulling back, just wrapped my arms around him, rubbing gentle circles on his back. It didn't take him long to recover and soon he pulled away, a weak smile as he kissed my nose.

I rolled back over as he got out of bed, trying to fall back to sleep. I was just dropping off when the covers were ripped off me. I let out an involuntary scream, immediately snapping my hands up to my chest even though I was wearing a top.

"Wakey wakey Dora." He smirked, dumping the covers at the bottom of the bed.

"Git." I growled, sitting up with a shiver, "Its cold." Remus batted his eyelashes innocently, sticking his bottom lip out. Though I tried to bite it back, a laugh rose in my throat, coming out as a small chuckle. I pushed myself up, smoothing out the long white top onto my legs.

"If its cold do you need a hug?" He asked sweetly, holding out his arms.

"No." I said thoughtfully, "You're too mean." And with that, I gathered up my clothes, turned on the spot and headed into the bathroom. I spluttered with laughter as I shut the door on him with a blown kiss. What did I do to deserve him?

Skip an hour

"Come on." I said, rolling my eyes and slipping my hand into his, "We've got five minutes." I pulled him along, walking backwards as I held both of his hands. Smiling weakly, he gently rubbed the back of my wrist, walking with me.

As a huge collection of chairs came into view on the Hogwarts grounds, my heart skipped a beat. The weather was perfect, sun was shining, a light breeze and barely a cloud in sight. It didn't feel like a funeral.

"What are we going to tell Molly?" He asked in a strained voice, letting go of one of my hands, but holding the other tight by his side.

"She'll notice." I nodded humorously, briefly reaching up and giving him a quick peck on the cheek, "Wouldn't miss it for the world." Sure enough, the moment the ginger witch saw us, her whole face lit up and she bustled over.

"Finally." Was the first thing she said, clapping her hands together, "I just knew it would happen!" Remus chuckled forcefully, letting go of my hand and instead wrapping an arm around my waist, "Wait until I tell Arthur!" And with she hurried off, leaving us standing bewildered in the corner.

Remus's POV-

"Do I get a kiss as my prize?" I asked innocently, which earned me no more than a light slap in the stomach.

She was still laughing when a small, tufty haired man began to call everyone in. I instantly closed my eyes, I wasn't ready. Albus meant so much to me. My freedom, friends, job, acceptance; and now it was over. But I had one other thing he had given me which was still there. Love, what he said was the greatest gift of all. I had learnt to love, and was loved back.

Dora gently laced her fingers in between mine, giving my hand a quick and reassuring squeeze. I returned the gesture, starting to walk towards the set up on the grass. Tears were already burning my eyes, but I bit them back, once more I would cry somewhere else.

We found a couple of seats beside Molly and the kids, a little way back from the front. Dora gave them a brief smile, running a hand through her hair. As we sat, she leant across, leaning her head on my shoulder before starting to whisper.

"No one cares if you cry you know. But its your choice, I'm here whatever though, I always will be. I love you." She gently kissed my cheek, sending my heart reeling. James told me it was an amazing feeling to be in love, but I never quite believed him until now. I would be willing to die for it, she was my glowing light in all of the darkness around me.

"I'll cry later." I breathed back, looking straight ahead as the small man started to talk, "With you."

As Albus's body was carried up the centre, my throat went tight. The man who had changed my life, given me everything good; so close but unreachable. Dora had tears falling into her lap, glimmering in the beautiful sunlight, but I still didn't shed a droplet. It could wait until I was reasonably alone. Harmoniously, almost eerily, the merfolk started to sing, long sweet notes that echoed in the brain as their pining pierced the air. Then the centaurs took their stand, arrows flying from the forest in a ray of grief and respect.

With that, the marble tomb was laid to rest in the ground, a symbol to the great man who saved so many. Slowly, I rose to my feet, still holding tight to Tonks's hand. Tears still trickled down her pale face, beading on the tip of her nose.

"Can we go?" I asked desperately, I was in no mood for questionings or apologies, "Please Dora." She nodded kindly, much to my relief, and gave me a small hug.

"I'll tell Molly to say hi to my mum from me." She said warmly, "And I bet she'll be delighted to divulge some more details. Come on." Her and Molly said a brief goodbye, just a hug and another round of excited squeals, the latter Molly of course.

"I love you." I whispered as we made our way back to the path we came up. Dora smiled gently, wrapping an arm around my waist with a contented sigh.

"I've been wanting you to say that for two years." She replied softly, leaning on my shouldr as we walked, "Seven hundred and thirty odd days to say three words, my favourite three words to hear coming from your mouth. But Merlin was it worth it."

A.N-

Been reading through and noticed a) how crap it is and b) that no ones really reading it. If it gets much worse I may just stop and call it a day, but you know I'll try.

I just also want to recommend a book WAY better than mine by That-One-Book-Lover which you may want to check out. I'm just kinda a weirdo whos just found a load of old rubbish I wrote when I was eleven. But thanks to those still reading. Yes, YOU!

Rhea
--x--