6- Apologies

Tonks's POV-

Waking the next morning brought a sharp pain to my cheek. My hand rose almost instinctively to where the cuts lay deep in my skin. I could feel the blood dripping from one of them, trickling onto my fingers. With a lot of effort, I pushed myself up to a sitting position, turning quickly to look at the dark red stains across my once white pillow. The room was mostly dark, but judging by the chink of light that shone through the curtains, the Sun was making its way towards midday. I sighed heavily and swung my legs off of the bed, landing my feet on the floor with a soft thud.

The mirror was opposite me, so straight away I could see where the majority of blood was coming from. I sealed the split back together with a simple spell, taking the time to clear away the blood from my pillow. A loud yawn escaped my lips, coming out loud in the quiet room. My clothes were on the chair by the door, a short denim skirt, patterned ripped tights and my old purple Weird Sisters top. Admittedly, the room was a lot colder than it first appeared so the oversized top that fell to my knees didn't do much in the way of warmth.

I dressed as quickly as I could, well aware of how late it was. The top and skirt clung quite tight to my frame, amplifying the curves of my hips and chest. My large black combat boots were lying on the floor, so I settled for them, not even bothering to tie the laces. The makeup I chose for the day was simple and natural, a small amount of eyeliner and mascara to contrast with the natural grey colour my eyes took and a light layer of pale pink lipstick. I checked my reflection in the mirror quickly and, after tightening the chunky belt I wore around my waist, headed out of the door.

I paused slightly at the foot of the stairs, listening in to the conversation in the kitchen. It appeared to be between Sirius, Molly and Remus and at certain points got fairly, well, heated. I hung behind the door, staying out of side as I listened in to what they were saying. It was definitely about me, and Remus trying to deny that he had slashed me. Honestly, the prospect of going in and facing them at some point soon was not something I was particularly looking forwards to. I had just decided that it would perhaps be better to leave when I could that Sirius spotted me. He said my name gently and I slowly emerged from the shadows I had been hiding in. I heard Remus gasp and hung my head in shame.

"Its true then." He sighed, rising from his seat and going to push past me, but I moved and blocked his path in the corridor, leaving us alone.

"Stay." I said quietly but forcibly, "You can't make a big deal out of this."

"I hurt you." He whispered in a hoarse, pained voice that was almost begging me to see what he did.

"No you didn't." I said softly, lifting his chin up with two fingers so that he was forced to look at me. The old cuts were deep, but his face glowed and his captivating blue eyes remained bright with true, natural caring which came so easily to him despite everything he had been through, "I don't mind Remus. I don't care how I look or act, its about me that matters. The inner me who doesn't care what other people think as long as its happy itself. How you know you really are beneath this self hating façade. You are you, the kindest and the most loving man I've ever met. Its once a month Remus. Twelve times a year you forget. That isn't you. Listen to me. You are special, don't act like this."

I could practically see his heart melting as I spoke, my eyes never once leaving his face. He looked like he could have cried with joy he was so happy and relieved, but instead remedied by wrapping me in a tight hug. After a couple of seconds I hugged back, smiling into his shoulder. It felt so faultless pressed up against him, his tears trickling into my hair.

The moment was broken by a loud knock on the door. We hastily pulled apart, watching as Molly rushed from the kitchen.

Remus's POV-

Arthur and Harry were standing outside, equal sized grins on their faces. I didn't even need to be told what had happened, I rushed forwards and wrapped Harry into my arms. He returned it gratefully and I decided not to say anything as he exhaled into my shoulder blades. Of course, Harry meant a lot to me, he was James and Lily's son, like my nephew.

"Cleared." Arthur smiled brightly, closing the door behind us.

Harry's POV-

I was thankful that I had Remus shielding my face, if only to hide the anger on it. His arms were wrapped around me and his chin rested on my head. I had my hands around his back, head in the crook of his shoulder. There was nothing particularly awkward about the hug, I needed to be calmed and he needed reassurance. He didn't know, but I thought of him as a kind of father figure.

After only a couple of seconds, he pulled away and smiled warmly at me.

"Well done Harry." I locked eyes with him and we shared a private smile, though his eyes seemed distant. It may have been my imagination, but I suspected that the cut down Tonks's face had something to do with it.

The silence was broken by the twins crashing down the stairs, followed by Ginny, Ron and Hermione. Remus let me go and I walked to them, the smile on my face even wider.

"You off?" Ron asked nervously. My response was simply a nod.

*A.N*- I am aware this isn't very factual but, you know, yolo.*