Chater 1.

***Present day***

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

I groaned and rolled over, then slammed my hand down on the alarm clock as I got up. A smile lit my face as I thought about what week it was-Tyler's birthday week! I quickly showered and got dressed, then ran down stairs and into the kitchen. Someone else's toast popped up but I grabbed it, along with the glass of orange juice that was sitting there.

"Hey that's mine!" My dad complained as I stuck the toast in my mouth.

"Sorry, in a rush!" I smiled and downed the juice. Then I waved and ran out the door with the piece of toast in my mouth. My dad just laughed and shook his head at me.

"Tell Ty happy birthday for me!" I heard him yell but I didn't respond, I just hopped in the car, my mom already waiting in the drivers seat, and went off to school.

Tyler had left for the summer, he went away for a job opportunity. I was miserable without him... we hadn't ever spent that long apart before, but I wanted him to be able to have a bright future so I pretended to be okay with it. He called me when he could, he texted me every day, and he sent me many photos. One in particular caught my interest during the first week is when he cut off all of his hair. I loved his hair in the short cut, but he had it even shorter. When I asked him why he cut it off he had said something about the summer heat out in California being easier to handle with shorter hair. Silly boy.

When Tyler had finally got back, we made sure to hang out every day. The look in his eyes changed a bit, he seemed older somehow. And he was slightly more built too. Though his years as the football captain kept him in great shape already. He was still the same old Tyler though, he was still my best friend, the one I could count on for anything and who was there for me practically my whole life.

When we pulled into the parking lot, I grabbed my bag and threw it over my shoulder, telling my mom a quick 'goodbye, love you', then practically jumped from the car as soon as it stopped. I quickly made my way to the front of the school where I could already see Tyler and his other friends, then quietly snuck up behind him and jumped on his back, causing him to startle.

"Happy birthday week, Ty!" I sang happily and loudly right next to his ear, causing him to cringe from the loudness.

"Jesus, Kota. Scare me half to death why don't ya?" He chuckled, bringing his hands under my thighs to hoist me onto his back more securely. 

"I try." I said with a chuckle. Tyler's 6'3 and very well built frame held me up easily, he never seemed to have a problem holding me though as we grew up. I smiled at him, my head peaked around his shoulders, catching his green eyes as he smiled back at me.

"So what's up?" He asked me, ignoring his friends who were still in conversation. My eye's went wide at the question, he doesn't remember, I thought to myself.

"What's up... What's up? Dude, It's your birthday week! We have to spend it any way we can celebrating it, what do you mean 'what's up'?!" He chuckled at me wholeheartedly and I immediately know he was messing with me, I rolled my eyes in response. "You said that on purpose, didn't you?" I mock glared at him.

"Maybe, maybe not." He shrugged his shoulder.

"Whatever." I huffed and jump down off his back.

"Oh not so fast young lady, where do you think you're going?" He asked, grabbing my wrist as I tried to walk away. 

"You obviously don't want to celebrate your birthday-week, so..." I shrugged and tried to walk off again. 

"You know I didn't mean it like that." He groaned and pulled me so my back was against his chest, his tall frame towering over my 5'4" self.