Between Love & Deception (Chapter 4)

Chapter 4

            A few days had finally passed since the whole situation with Carter fell out. After countless numbers of emails, text, and missed calls I was still wasn’t ready to talk to him, in a civil tone of course.  If I hadn’t of walked out the other day, things would have gotten worse. Much worse than they already were.

            I paced the living room floor, while Beau was in his room playing. I had too much on my mind to talk to him. If I didn’t find Beau a nanny soon, I would be taking him with me on this trip. I looked down the list of my babysitters and realized that I had called all of them but one.

            Maria.

            I winced a little bit as I noticed her unmarked name. I could at least try right? My fingertips slowly punched over her numbers, and then I put the phone up to my ear.

            After a couple of rings, she finally answered. “Hello?” I heard her Spanish accent and immediately knew it was her.

            “Hello, is this Maria?” I asked skittishly.

            “Yes, why?” Her demanding tone was kind of creepy I thought.

I laughed nervously, and then started talking. “Maria, this is Samantha Smith. Beau’s mother.”

            Before I could even finish my introduction, she was sighing. “I know who you are. What do you want?”

            Her rudeness had really taken me by surprise; she didn’t have to be so mean. “I really need a babysitter for a couple of weeks over the summer. I know, you quit but I will pay you double.” I pleaded.  The thing was, I would only need a baby sitter a couple of times over the summer.

            My ears were filled with Maria’s cold laughter, “I wouldn’t babysit that child again if you paid me triple.”

            Now, I was starting to get pissed off. She had no right to be so rude to me. Before I could plead anymore she was talking again.

            “Look, I apologize for being so rude; but I can’t babysit your child anymore.

            I sighed, as I listened to her words. “Alright, thank you anyways.” I fell onto the couch as I hung up the phone, trying to think about what I could do. Nothing came to mind though.

            My conscious started taking over, thinking about just taking him along with me. What could happen so badly? My mother would be there to take care of him when I had to be at rehearsal, or the wedding. I was leaving in less than a couple of days and I had no plan.