26 - Surprises

so this is a bit of a filler chapter after all the...ahem, excitement, in the last chapter. i promise you that after this things get really interesting okay? ;D and sayla shippers - hang in there. layla returns in the next chapter! for now, enjoy a nice, long maya - luke bonding session. lots of dialogue. sorry nadine 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

26 - Surprises

Luke Waters

  Maya had been right about her parents, in one way.

 They arrived at the hotel at seven in the morning sharp, and after a few papers had been signed we left the hotel with a sleepy, hungover Sam who had no idea what was going on. The car ride back home was stony and quiet, with Mr. Sumedh’s expression a perfect poker face and Mrs. Sumedh had a tiny frown on which seemed extremely out of place. Maya’s head lolled on my shoulder – she was drifting in and out of sleep. I could hardly close my eyes – the look on Mr. Sumedh’s face was…well, it was scaring the hell out of me. I was just caught in the pool with his daughter after hours with both of us in our underwear; I wouldn’t have been surprised if he’d killed me three times in his head already.

They’d freak out. Like, ship you off to Springfield in a second, freak out.

We reached home and piled out of the car, and then Mrs. Sumedh turned to face the three of us.

 “Sam, go to bed. Luke, Maya, living room, now.”

Maya gripped my arm, now probably wide awake, but I was afraid to look at her face. We followed Mr. and Mrs. Sumedh into the house, and into the living room. Maya and I sat on the couch, I was stiff backed as the parents took a seat in front of us. Sam stumbled up the stairs loudly and that was the only sound in the room.

 For a moment both parties regarded the other – I studiously avoided Mr. Sumedh’s gaze.

 Finally, he took of his glasses and gazed at both of us with a clear gaze.

 “Maya, do you have anything to say for yourself?”

I glanced between the two of them and interjected quickly.

 “Mr. Sumedh, I – it wasn’t Maya’s idea, it was mine.”

 Both parents turned to me with a surprised expression. I widened my eyes at them.

 “Really! She had nothing to do with it, she just went along with what I was saying –”

 “And you were saying that you two should sneak into the pool at three in morning?” Mrs. Sumedh said incredulously and I flushed.

 “Well…yes. It, uh, it seemed like a good idea at the time.”

 Mr. Sumedh shook his head.

“Why?”

“Daddy,” Maya interjected. “It was just a bit of fun, it’s not a big deal.”

 “No, you’re right,” Mrs. Sumedh said. “It’s not a huge deal, but kids, just be careful next time and avoid doing such things, okay? It’s a huge hassle and you need to respect the rules.”

I nodded vigorously and Maya did the same next to me.

 Mr. Sumedh shook his head.

 “I’m disappointed in you two.”

 “Karan,” Mrs. Sumedh said, putting a hand on his arm. “There’s no need to be so harsh. They’re both almost adults, in fact, Luke is already an adult. They’ll do stupid things and they’ll learn. It’s no big deal.”