23 - Infidel

HI GUYS IM SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE

---------------------------

23 - Infidel

 Luke Waters

Mrs. Sumedh was proud of the dinner she made that night.

 She had a south Indian cookbook which she’d followed to the T. Sam and I, tired, and having nothing better do, sat around in the kitchen listening to her rambling and the radio (Bollywood station). To be honest, I rather liked Mrs. Sumedh. She was everything I thought a mother should be. I watched Sam poke fun at her and her retaliation, which usually consisted of her flicking flour at him or smacking him if she was close enough.

 We helped out as much as we could without getting in the way. I found myself glancing at the clock an embarrassing number of times, having gotten a text from Maya an hour ago announcing that she’d be home around eight o clock. At seven fifty, Sam made an exasperated noise and grabbed the bottle of water I was holding in my hand when I looked up at the clock again.

 “If you’re that eager to greet her,” he muttered in my ear, “just go stand by the door or something.”

 I rolled my eyes, grabbing the bottle from him again.

 “Shut up.”

 He chuckled, following me to the dining room, where I placed the bottle on the table.

 “You’re so whipped for my sister, man.”

 I made a face. Was there any real point in denying it?

 Well....

 Just as I opened my mouth to deny it, the doorbell rang and I resisted the urge to go answer it immediately. Sam raised an eyebrow at me.

 “I’ll see it,” I offered nonchalantly.

 He grinned, walking back to the kitchen.

 “Sure, sure. It’s not like you know who’s at the door anyway.”

 “Yeah, yeah.”

 I walked as slowly as I could to the door, and then pulled it open. Maya stood there, examining her fingernails with a frown on her face, holding a bunch of packets in her other hand. She looked up as the door opened, a smile spreading on her face.

 “Oh, hey.”

 I grinned at her, opening the door wide.

 “Hey.”

 She walked past me into the house, brushing my shoulder carelessly, hair piled in a messy bun atop her head. I shut the door and turned to the inside of the house, where she was kicking off her bright blue high-tops with a surprisingly pensive expression.

 I reached out to take her packets from her but she shook her head at me.

 “I can carry them myself, Luke.”

 I pressed my lips together. “I thought women liked chivalry.”

 She shrugged.

 “Meh.”

 She put her shoes into the cupboard, still frowning.

 “What’s up?” I asked, leaning back against the door. She raised her eyebrow at me, straightening up.

 “What?”

 I frowned a little.

 “You look...off.”