14 - Spinning

14 - Spinning

Luke Waters

I picked Teagan up from her house – her host’s house, rather – at seven sharp. We were going to go to some Greek place called Opa! which Sam recommended. Personally I thought the name was a bit cheesy, but apparently their food was excellent (“But it’s just a little hard on the pocket,” Sam told me with a grimace). Thankfully I had my allowance from the Sumedhs saved. They were pretty generous when it came to weekly allowance – I wondered how Maya could possibly be broke when she had money like that coming in.

 You’re going to have fun tonight, I told myself, as I manouevered around the Delhi roads. Sam had been right about the traffic, it was crazy. I must’ve had at least fifteen colourful curses thrown my way, out of which I think all of them were in Hindi so thankfully I didn’t understand them. But I reached Teagan’s place physically relatively unscathed, the BMW intact.

 I parked the car in front, and then jogged up the driveway quickly. The neighbourhood was quiet, affluent, a lot like where the Sumedhs lived.

 After taking a few breaths, I rang the doorbell. There was a loud sound from inside like something falling, and then rushed footsteps on a wooden floor. Then the door was swung open by –

 “Ki?” I asked, blinking.

 Ki stood in the doorway, dressed lazily in sweats and a t-shirt, her purple-streaked hair pulled back into a bun. She grinned at me.

 “Hey, Luke.”

 “I, uh…am I missing something? What are you doing here?”

 She smirked at me, her button nose crinkling a little.

 “Last I checked, this is my house.”

  I felt an oh expression slip onto my face.

 “Oh. Oh, I guess I didn’t know that. You’re Teagan’s host,” I added stupidly.

 She grinned.

 “Yep. Come in?”

 She swung the door open a little wider, stepping aside. I shrugged, and then stepped inside, my shoes loud against the wooden floor. She shut the door.

 “Teagan’s upstairs, I’ll go get her.”

 I nodded, and waited in the little entrance lobby with the umbrella stand and ornate mirror, looking around aimlessly. But then a minute later Ki came back down, Teagan in tow.

 She looked pretty, I won’t deny it. She was wearing this light pink dress that clashed horribly with her hair in a cute way, and her hair was up, as opposed to how she usually left it down in school.

 I grinned at her.

 “You look great, Gun-Gun.”

 Ki snorted and Teagan blushed as she descended the last few stairs.

 “Luke, at least don’t call me Gun-Gun on a date.”

  I chuckled as she reached me, and then I leaned forward, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

(And ignored the fact that it felt just the tad bit forced.)

 “Sorry, Teagan.”

 She laughed a little, sending a gasp of perfume my way.

 “Shall we, um, leave?”

 I nodded. “Yep.”

 “Ki, hold down the fort,” Teagan told Ki, and Ki saluted us.