17 - Second

completely unedited, unproofread chapter, and I JUST KNOW IT'S FULL OF MISTAKES AND TYPOS OH MY LORD.

please fix them for me. please.

so the gif on the side is a bit of a giveaway but yanoo. and the song is just perf <3

---------------------------------------------

17 - Second

Luke Waters

She had her guard down. Totally. Completely.

 She hadn’t said anything, but from the way she was looking down at the floor rather than meeting my gaze like she normally always did, I could tell that she hadn’t completely forgotten – she remembered. And she was trying to hide it.

 Maybe what I was seeing what clouded by a haze of what I wanted. But the things she’d said last night – I knew that somewhere she wanted it too.

 “Let’s go get something to eat,” she said, pushing herself off the desk.

 But then I wasn’t afraid anymore. And when she brushed against my shoulder, something snapped inside me – maybe it was my self-control.

 And I stopped her.

 Maya collided gently with my arm, her hands resting on it, her body tense and her breathing controlled. She didn’t speak.

 I curled my arm, pulling her close. She pressed against my side, and I relished her closeness, her hair tickling my shoulder, her breathing and the way her t-shirt (my t-shirt) bunched around her waist.

 She was still looking at the floor. I watched her, but she didn’t look up at me. The air was tense, heavy, as if she was waiting for me to do or say something, but I knew that I was hanging on to the remaining shreds of my self-control by a thread.

 I turned, pushing her against the desk gently. I braced my arms on either side of her body, ignoring the dull pain in them. We were so close – our breathing was fusing – mine getting more rapid by the second.

 “Maya,” I said, “you remember.”

 She shivered, ever so slightly, but it was enough for me – my words had an effect on her, and I knew she knew what I was talking about.

 “Remember what?”

 I couldn’t help it – we were moving closer.

 “You remember what happened last night.”

 She stared at me for the longest time, her eyes wide, and I stared right back into their chocolate depths, trying to convey everything. But then she swallowed, and looked down at the floor.

 And I couldn’t not look at her eyes. I pulled her face back up, my finger on her chin gently. Her skin was warm, smooth, and our gazes locked again. And I think in that moment we both knew, we didn’t need to say anything because everything was out in the open, it was a little scary but it was.

 I couldn’t move my fingers away from her skin – I touched her across her jaw, over her ear, and then to the back of her neck, where her skin was hot, her in soft tangles as my fingers got lost in it. My heart pounded as I saw her eyes flutter closed with my touch. And then she whispered my name.

 “Luke.”

 It was so, so soft, but then I knew what I had to do.

 “Maya.”