Chapter 31 "Battle Of The Bands"

\Ross's POV/ 

Before I went to the competition with the rest of the guys, I grabbed my keys and drove to the hospital to see Selena before the show. She wasn't sleeping so I got to talk to her for about half an hour. "You'll be amazing," Selena says as I check my phone to see Rydel texting me asking where I am. I told her I'll be there soon! I smiled at my lovely girlfriend, "I know we will be. You'll be out of here as soon as possible!" I said. I hugged her tight and she hugged me back. My visit went very well until I heard a beeper go off and Sel looked at me with grief, "Ugh, That is my timer. I have to go in for a check up," she said. "Check up?" I asked. "Yeah, just to make sure the baby is okay so far and that everything is okay," she explained to me. I gave her a sweet kiss before the doctors took her and I left the hospital to Battle of the Bands. The whole drive there was unbearable. All I could think about was, "I HAVE to win." 

When I got to the competition, I saw I was slightly late because I saw Brittany and her girl group were already done. "Ross! We're next!" Rydel said. I grabbed my guitar from Riker and he spoke up, "You should've been here earlier than this." I started playing some chords and sang the song to myself. Soon enough it was time for us to get onstage. Brittany came off stage and looked at me and sighed, "Good Luck, Ross. I mean it," she smiled at me. I smiled back, "Thanks." 

We went on and everyone got set and I spoke into the mic, "Hello everyone. Thanks for coming. This is our own original song that we wrote, It's called..." 

Riker speaks up, "Smile" 

We began playing and I could see Brittany and her girls watching us in the corner. The judges that were in front of us watched us with delight. Riker began singing, 

"Today I feel like running naked through your street, to get your attention, wo-oh-oh!" 

Once Riker's verse was over, I started singing, 

"Dream on, Dream about you, What can I do to make you feel alright? Baby, I don't wanna see you cry. No, oh..." 

I'm not a professional singer so I was very curious how the crowd felt. I was surprised at how well we played together. Rydel and Ellington played and they had smiles on their faces as if they enjoyed being up here. I had a strange feeling as well where I could feel the music running through my veins. It was a good feeling. I began singing the bridge, 

"Let me take your picture, baby, I'll save it for a rainy day." 

Suddenly, my mind flew to the past. "Ross! Stop it!" I heard Selena's voice running through my head. My own voice ran through my head in reply, "But you look adorable!" I sighed before I began singing again as I remember a time when we had a thunderstorm, here in Cali, and Selena and I were messing around with a polaroid camera. 

These lyrics were inspired by real life events. Every word I spoke had meaning. 

"I don't need much, I guess I'm just old-fashioned in that way. So on the count of three, let's see you..." I sang as I could picture Sel's beautiful smile in my head. I started smiling like an idiot to myself and I heard Ellington yell, 

"1,2,1,2,3!" 

It was time for the chorus once again. But before I heard Ellington speak the last number, I heard a tiny voice from far away in the crowd yell, "3!" 

It was a little girl who was on her father's shoulders. The father looked so proud that his daughter knew how to count. I couldn't help but laugh at how cute it was. The little girl had brown hair and green eyes. She was wearing blue jeans, converse, and a white floral shirt. She looked so happy. My head started flooding with thoughts of how my life would be if I have a daughter. 
Rydel will be called Aunty Rydel and she could go shopping with her and her beautiful mommy. Riker is smart, he can help her in school. Rocky and Ellington could take her to the movies and teach her what REAL AWESOME MOVIES are! Ryland can teach her how to skateboard like a real skater. I can take her to concerts like this father was doing for his daughter. 

I suddenly came back to reality and sang with all the passion I had, 

"I wanna see you smile!"

I busted out all the high notes that I never knew I could hit. The song was soon over and Riker came up to me, "Bro! That was awesome! I didn't think you could sing like that!" I laughed, "I didn't either!" Brittany came up to us with her friends. "If you're here to say how bad we were, then just leave! Because we do not want to hear it," Rydel said being sassy. Ellington put a hand on her shoulder and spoke quietly to her, "Rydel, calm down." Brittany shook her head, "No, actually, we wanted to say you guys were amazing. We liked it very much!" I smiled, "Thanks." We heard the speaker say, "All performers to the stage." 

We got onstage next to Brittany and her girl group. The speaker began by thanking everyone for coming and thanking all of the musicians. I felt Rydel grab my hand and I looked at her, "You okay?" and she bit her lip, "No." I nodded and gripped her hand right back. Her best friend could die along with her unborn nephew or niece. The love of my life could die along with my unborn child. I saw Ellington grab onto Rydel's other hand, then I felt Riker grab my hand and I saw Rocky grab Riker's hand. We all held hands in silence. We heard the speaker say, 

"and the winner is..." 

We all bowed our heads in sync and I heard Riker whisper, 

"Stay strong guys."

I could feel a tear run down my cheek. This is it. This is my only chance. I gripped Rydel's hand even tighter and said, "Stay strong." 

Rydel squinted her eyes, trying to contain any tears. I heard her sigh, "Please god..." 

"The winner is..." 

TO BE CONTINUED!