thirty nine; defamatory

Like A Prayer - Madonna

  Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone,
I hear you call my name and it feels like home.  

"It hurts, Kai, stop it!"

"Shut up, it doesn't."

"Like you would know, you're not the one on the receiving end!"

"Stop screaming..."

"Well, excu-use me for letting everyone know that it hurts!"

"I don't care."

"That's what you think."

"What?" Kai stopped and looked up at Lilith, confused. Lilith sniffed and turned her head away, gesturing for him to continue with her hand. He shook his head and carried on. 

"Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"Never mind, it's gone now."

"Right, all done," said Kai as he ran his thumb over the newly marked skin of Lilith. He grinned when she shivered and stood up from the chair, gesturing for her to look. 

Lilith sighed but obliged, glancing down at the mark only to see that it's faded. "It's gone," she mumbled, looking back up at Kai who shrugged. 

"I see it perfectly," he argued back, smiling innocently at her.

"Maybe you're seeing things that only you want to see," she scoffed, pulling her shirt back down over her marked skin.

"Maybe you don't want to see it. Which I don't get why." He let out a snort as he moved over to the living room. He slumped down on the couch, spreading his legs out, bouncing them slightly. He watched as Lilith swayed over to him, not expecting her to jump onto his stomach, straddling him. 

"So, did you catch up with the internet?" She asked as she trailed her fingers up and down his chest, stopping to fiddle with the buttons of his shirt. 

"Yup, I definitely caught up with that Twitter, I liked that," he said, smiling up at her as he rested his hands on her thighs. "I didn't bother with any other of those websites like, uh, Facebook? I think it was."

Lilith nodded and giggled. "I never got to make an account, my mum always said it was pointless, none of the family ever made it actually," she said, pursing her lips. She squeaked when Kai pulled her down, pressing his lips against hers. 

"You are a special girl," he whispered against her lips. 

"Is that a compliment or not?" She whispered back, pulling back slightly to gauge his reaction. To her surprise and himself, he let out a bark of laughter, pulling her down again. His hand rested on the back of her head as he leant his chin on her head. 

He could feel her breath hitting his neck, giving him shivers of pleasure. "Whatever I do in the future, whether it's good or bad, please say you'll stand by me, that you'll say with me?" He asked, his voice turning to serious. 

Lilith furrowed her eyebrows when she felt him stroke her hair comfortingly. It was as if he was comforting himself. She decided to indulge him. "Yeah, I promise, you know I will."

Kai smiled, trailing his fingers through her soft hair and down her back, resting on her bum. "Good, because I need to do something so incredibly stupid," he told her. He let her pull away this time and looked up at her as she stared down confused. 

"You got me wrapped around your finger Malachai Parker, I don't think I would want to stop you if it makes you unhappy," she confessed. "I'd lay down my life for you, I'm that foolish person who would lay down on a puddle just so you wouldn't get wet." 

He let out a small laugh and shook his head. "It's good to know that," he told her, fiddling with the hem of her torn jumper. "I'd kind of do the same for you." 

Lilith smiled before realising what he said. "What do you mean kind of?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest. 

"I have magic, I would just get rid of the puddle instead of getting myself wet," he told her, snickering when she slapped him on the chest. He grabbed her hand, making her rest it against his chest, just where his heart was. "However if I didn't have magic, I'd... No, I still wouldn't lay down, I'd pick you up and step over it. I mean, couldn't you step over it yourself?"

Lilith let out a groan. "I'm pretty sure back in the 13th Century it wasn't very courteous to pick a woman up. I mean, the man would at the very least lay his coat or any other garment on the floor for her to walk over."

Kai sat up at this. "What? Why should the man get his clothes all wet for her. What if there's another puddle a bit further ahead and the clothes are already wet, there's no point after that!" He exclaimed.

"Bloody Hell Kai! I just wanted to say a romantic thing I saw from a film, not start World War III," she said, her eyes widening at their argument. 

Kai huffed and slumped back against the dusty couch. "Whatever, I'm assuming that was you backing down from this fight that I so clearly won."

Lilith gasped and stood up from his lap. "Bring it, moron," she challenged him, flexing her finger for him to stand up and come closer. 

Kai hid his smile and stood up, pretending to flex off his muscles. "Sure you want to go down this road, I'll probably break you."

"No, this time, you'll fail." 

Kai let out a click of amusement. "Well, your dad's condom failed, I mean, something's gotta run through the family." He quickly dodged the punch she threw his way and let out a loud bark of laughter. "Okay, that was uncalled for I'm sorry- what-what am I saying? No, I'm not."

"Argh!" Lilith threw another punch but instead of dodging this one he grabbed her fist and pulled her closer, trying to kiss her on the lips. "You suck," she told him. 

"Oh please, I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a better answer than that," he replied, laughing at her futile attempts to escape his arms. "You're so cute Lily," he told her. He suddenly let her go, watching as she fumed at him. 

She lifted her hand to point at him, her mouth opening and closing as she tried to find an insult. "Your-your birth certificate is an apology letter to your parents from the hospital," she finally said. 

Kai stopped laughing at this. His eyebrows furrowing. For a moment there Lilith began to panic, thinking she said the wrong thing before he let out a snort. "You know, you're probably right," he said. 

Lilith let out a belly ripping laugh, one that had her clutching her stomach as she heard this. "I don't get it, it wasn't that funny..." She heard Kai say. 

"I'm sorry, I was panicking so much that it was surprising to hear that," she finally told him. She stood straighter and walked closer to him, grabbing his face. She pulled it down to hers before placing her lips on his. "I love you," she breathed, before pecking him on the lips once more.