seven; sacrilegious

Edge of Night - Billy Boyd

  Home is behind, the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread.

2005

"They don't know how special you are," Lilith whispered to a crying Lucifer, stroking back his hair. "You're better than any of them," she said, kissing the boy just above his eyebrow. 

"I'm not, I'm a freak," cried Lucifer into his sister's neck, his arms tightening around her abdomen. "Why can't people treat me like they treat you and Gabe?" He asked. 

Lilith felt her heart break as she listened to her brother beat himself. "Don't listen to them, you're strong and you deserve better," she said. "I promise you, when I'm eighteen, I'll take you away from all of this, I'll give you a good life," she whispered to the eleven-year-old. 

Lilith woke up, sweating, crying and breathing heavily. Her wheezing echoed through the silent house, scaring her. She pulled back the heavy covers, her hot feet pressing down on the cool floor, relaxing her slightly. She walked out of the bedroom, glad to have the cool air conditioning blow against her bare arms, deciding she wanted more she rolled up her leggings, bunching them around her knees. 

"Bad dream?" 

Lilith let out an ear-piercing scream at the voice, her heart racing as she fell to the ground due to being unable to keep her balance. "Shit man, don't do that," she hissed, sitting up, rubbing her lower back. 

Kai let out a low chuckle, walking passed her, he stepped down two of the stairs, blocking her way as he turned around to face her. "What happened?" He interrogated her, curiosity eating him up. 

Lilith thought it was best not to lie to him anymore, whenever she tried he knew she was. "I just had a dream about Luce, that's all," she muttered, trying to get passed him but he wouldn't budge.

"You're letting those memories haunt you," he told her, shaking his head. "Why don't you let them go, accept that you're a deadbeat." He smirked.

"Screw you, Kai," she replied, offended by his words. 

"Well if you want to, the bedrooms that way," he said, nodding his head behind her. He watched as her hand raised but never moved to hit him. "All bark but no bite, huh Lil'?" He asked, his tone unusually serious. 

Lilith narrowed her eyes, shaking her head as she scoffed at his audacity. "You think you're so prestigious don't you?"

Kai shrugged a shoulder, sarcasm written on his face. "If you say so, glad to know you have such high respect for me though, it's cute," he teased, winking at her. 

Lilith gritted her teeth, keeping quiet as she looked away from his hungry gaze. Without warning Kai stumbled up the stairs. "Kai?" She asked, worry in her tone as she caught him, dropping to her knees with him in her arms. "Kai?" She repeated as his eyes began to flicker shut. She placed a hand on his forehead, feeling the heat. 

She frowned, nothing felt odd about his temperature. Without a second thought she put her ear to his chest, above where his heart pulsed regularly when suddenly his chest began to rise and fall rapidly. She gritted her teeth, slapping his stomach as she rose her head. "You dick, I thought something was happening to you?"

Kai let out a loud laugh, sitting up beside her. "Hey, you needed cheering up, right?" He nudged her with his shoulder. He watched as a smile broke out on her face. "See."

Lilith giggled and shook her head at him. "One day you'll have bad dreams too," she told him.

"Don't I know it," he said, looking up around before glancing down the stairs. He felt her curious eyes on him and cracked a smile, looking up at her. "Don't worry about it, I can practically hear the wheels grinding in your head."