Chapter 37- Stranger In The Night

Zoey's POV 

We drove down the main street of Deephollow, stereotypical houses lining each side of the road, people walking their dogs and children playing in the front yard. The sun shone brightly in the sky in what was becoming a beautiful day only adding to the picturesque image Deephollow was displaying. I smiled sadly at the realisation that this was once my life. A happy and carefree child with loving parents, an amazing brother and a great future in front of me. How did things go so wrong? 

"This is where you grew up?" Cindy asked in awe as she stared out the window of the car. 

"For a time," I whispered, unable to make eye contact. The memories of my childhood were dancing non-stop across my brain in a range as diverse as the rainbow. 

"It seems so peaceful," Cindy commented. 

"Yeah, it was. Until your parents are brutally murdered forcing you and your little brother to run for your life from the people who killed them." My comments came out harsher than I intended but I was unable to apologise for it as it was how I felt when I thought about Deephallow. Cindy didn't reply but I knew she understood how hard it was for me being back here as it was the place where the worst day of my life happened and the catalyst for my brothers betrayal sparked. My mind quickly darted back to Henry. The image of his cut and bruised when I visited him in his cell still hurt me almost as bad as the sting of his betrayal did. I had to constantly remind myself of what he did to me to enable myself not to beg Ethan for his release. I wondered what had happened to him during my time away from Greendale. Had Ethan killed him in some twisted way of getting me back from leaving him again? Had he been beaten more for information about my whereabouts? Each scenario only caused me pain as they played out in my head. I had worked the majority of my life to protect him, only to now watch him be hurt at the hands of the person who is my soulmate. 

I  pulled up outside my old house, the address still as fresh in my mind as the day I lived here. The well kept lawn and freshly painted walls was the only evidence of occupation. Obviously, two brutal murders on the property wasn't enough to turn people away from prime real estate. The walls were painted a pale white with a blue trim around the door and windows. It looks peaceful and warm, you would never guess what happened here. 

"Who lives here?" Cindy asked as we both stepped out of the car and stood on the side of the road. 

"I don't know." I replied sincerely leaning against the side of the car and staring at the house. The door of the house opened and a tall, brown haired main with black glasses walked out with a confused look on his face. He strode with conference and an air of authority straight towards us. 

"Can I help you?" He asked standing on one side of the gate. 

"I'm sorry. We didn't mean to disturb you." Cindy apologised quickly. 

"What are you doing in front of my house?" He asked, the scepticism evident in his voice. 

"My friend," Cindy said gesturing towards me. "Use to live here and we were just stopping by to have a quick look at the place." The man looked me up and down obviously assessing for a threat of any kind before he opened the gate and took a step out onto the pathway. 

"That's impossible. My wife and I have lived here for nearly 10 years and the family before us unfortunately were tragically murdered one night in what was believe to be a robbery gone wrong." The man explained. My eyes pricked with tears at the mention of my parents. So the policed had decided it was a home invasion gone wrong, well it was better then what had really happened. At least my Mum wasn't outed as a supernatural witch and my father a werewolf. 

"Yeah. I know." I said standing up off the car. "They were my parents." The man's eyes widened at my statement before looking me up and down again.