Chapter Twenty-Five

'Happy birthday, man' Ranbir said as he approached Ranveer. 'Thanks, man' he said back as they shook hands and hugged. It's been an hour since Ranveer stopped contacting Deepika. He had no hope now.
'This is from me and Katrina.' Ranbir said and gave him his gift. 'Oh, where is she?' Ranveer asked.
'She's sick and couldn't make it' he answered smoothly.

It's now been an hour since Ranbir has arrived and he was looking everywhere for Deepika, but he couldn't find her. 'Looking for someone?' Someone asked behind him. He turned around and saw Ranveer, 'What? No' he answered quickly.
'Well, whoever you're searching for isn't here.
She ran off' Ranveer said.
'Ran off?' Ranbir asked, confused.
'I was supposed to pick her up but she left the house before I came, she didn't want to come' he answered.
'Why?'

'I think you know why' Ranveer answered while signaling at Ranbir. Ranbir looked down,
'Oh' he said. 'I thought you might know where she might go, you know. Considering you know her better than me' Ranveer said. Ranbir started thinking for a while until .. 'I think I know where I might find her' he said and walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deepika was sitting in front of Kalk's grave, playing with the mud. She didn't utter a word since she came, she just sat down, drowning into a pile of thoughts.

'Hey' a voice said. She turned around and saw the least person she wanted to see right now.. But that was just her mind telling her that.

Ranbir.

'Hey' she said softly as he went and sat down next to her. 'How did you find me?' Deepika thought to herself. 'I hoped I would find you here' Ranbir answered her thought. She looked at him, wondering if she has said it out loud or not.

'I miss him' he said as he brushed his hands over his grave. 'Haven't been here in a while' he continued.
'Me too' she answered softly, staring into space.
'When was the last time?' he asked.
'I don't remember' she lied, she didn't want to tell him that it was on his wedding day. He would think she is crazy for him and she doesn't want that now.

Ranbir knew she was lying but he shook it off,
'I remember. I came here a week before my wedding' he said and Deepika looked at him, shocked.
'Yeah' he continued, 'I needed to know if I was doing the right thing or not. Although he couldn't answer, sometimes you just need somebody to listen'

'Yeah, I know how that feels' Deepika chuckled deeply. 'I did the right thing, Deepika' Ranbir said.
'Yeah, I know. Sometimes, I just wish we don't always have to do the right thing or go by the rules, you know?' she said. 'Me too, I wished someone would come down the aisle and stop all of this but nothing happened' he said.

'I watched it' she said and now it was Ranbir's turn to looked at her, shocked. He didn't see her there.
'Yeah, on TV' she continued saying.
'I thought a lot before watching it but I did.
It was awful, hearing those two words from you' she said and brought her knee closer to her chin.

'Why didn't you come to the party?' he asked, changing the subject. 'I didn't want to see you with her' she answered. They were both being way too honest right now. 'She didn't come' he answered.
'Really?' 'Yeah, I really hoped to see you there since she wasn't with me' Ranbir answered.

'I couldn't see you' she said. 'Will we ever get over this and be friends again?' he asked.
She looked at him, 'Is that what you want? To be friends?' she asked. 'No, Deepika. But we don't have any other choice. I don't want to lose you forever' he said.

She leaned closer, hooked her arms with his and bent down her neck to rest on his shoulder.
'Neither do I' she said and silence came.

'I'll leave her one day' he said softly. 'Will you?'
'Yes, I will' 'but she'll tell the world about us cheating' 'I'm just waiting to catch something on her so I can blackmail her like she did' he said.
'Since when do you think like that?' she asked.
'Ever since I found out how awful she is' he answered.

'What would Kalk do to us if he found out what a mess we're in?' he asked, chuckling. Deepika laughed, 'He would probably yell at us, call us names and then run after us' she answered.
They both laughed together, 'I can picture him already' he said. 'But also he wouldn't stop until he gets us together' Deepika said. 'Why couldn't he just do it back then?' he asked. 'I don't know, maybe because we didn't want to' she said, pointing her finger at him.

'Yeah well, I regret it now' he said and pulled her close. 'Ranbir,' Deepika said. He looked at her,
'Mmm?'

'The last time I came here was on your wedding day' Deepika said, honestly. 'Really?' he asked, shocked and relieved that she told him the truth.

'Yeah, I also needed somebody to listen to me you know. I didn't know where else to go, so I ended up here' she said and sighed, remembering that day.
'I was so worried about you that day' he said.
'A lot of people were,' she chuckled and continued,
'I went to a café that day and a lot of people talked about how I must be sad at you getting married. Even on the social media' she said.

'Weren't you?' he asked, nudging her and smirking.
She chuckled and looked at him, 'Really? You're asking me this now?' she asked and brought her eyebrows up. 'Well, I have to be sure you know.
It's been what, 7 months? I need to hear it from you' he said, still smirking. 'No, stop. I won't say anything' she said, chuckling.

'Come on, come on. Say it' he said and got closer to her, still having this smirk on his face.
'No' she laughed while pushing him away.

'Whatever. I know you were' he said and shrugged.
'How can you be so sure?' she asked.
'Because I am. Just like I'm sure that you love me'
he said and smiled cheekily at her.

She pushed him playfully, 'No, I don't' she said, laughing again. 'You don't have to say it, I just know you love me' he said and leaned in quickly and stole a quick kiss on her cheek. She gasped as he moved away quickly, looking at her.

'Don't do that' she said. 'Do what?'
'Surprise me like that' she said. 'Mmm.. I don't think I can stop' he said and leaned in slowly, taking his time. 'That's if, you say you love me' he said and continued leaning in. She stopped him by putting her hand on his chest, 'Fine,' she said and chuckled slowly. 'I love you' she finally said as he smiled.

'See? That wasn't so hard' he said and sat back normally. She didn't know what to say, so she just stayed silent. 'For the record, I love you too' he said as he felt her smile.