Chapter Twenty-Three

Today was the day. Today was iifa Awards 2016.
Deepika arrived a little early and now she is in her dressing room, getting ready for the show.
The place wasn't crowded yet as there was still about three more hours for the show to start.

The past two weeks were good, Deepika and Anushka were speaking in a way. But Anushka still haven't accepted Ranveer in her life but that wasn't Deepika's business. She felt that tonight would be a good night for her. She was excited to perform today as she hasn't performed in a year. She loved dancing, she was good at it. Or at least that was what everyone told her.

Knock knock knock..

Deepika's head went to the door as she got up to see who was knocking. She opened the door and saw Ranbir in front of her, 'hey' he said slowly, waiting for her reaction. 'Hi' she said plainly. She didn't want to have a long conversation with him. She saw him everyday in the past two weeks and she always made sure not to talk too much with him.

'Can I come in?' Ranbir asked. This was the only moment they would have alone. 'Sure' Deepika sighed and let him in. He got in and sat on the couch, expecting her to come and sit next to him but she didn't. 'Aren't you going to sit?' he asked.
Deepika stood at the door, 'Um no, I'm good' she said and folded her arms. 'Come on, Deepika. I'm not going to harm you' Ranbir said.
'I don't want to sit' she answered. Ranbir sighed and got up. He started walking and stopped in front of her, 'Well, if you don't want to sit then I'll just stand with you' he said. 'What do you want, Ranbir?' Deepika asked. 'You want the truth or the lie? I don't think you'll like the truth' he said and smirked.

'You know what? Don't even answer that. Just say what you want to say and then leave' she said.
'I want to say a lot of things, Deepika.' he said.
'Just tell me, Ranbir' Deepika said.
'Fine. I miss you, Deepika. I miss everything about you, I miss talking to you and no I don't mean those stupid conversations we had the past few weeks.
I miss looking at you, I miss hugging you. I miss the way you used to look at me and how it was so easy for us to talk before. I miss your kisses..' He stopped there as his fingers traced Deepika's face gently. Deepika closed her eyes and took a deep breathe.

She opened her eyes to meet with Ranbir's.
'You can't say that' she said. 'I want to say that. I want you to know how I feel about you, Deepika.
Don't you miss me?' he asked as he intertwined his hand with hers. She looked at their hands and then up to his face. 'I do miss you, I miss you a lot. But we can never be together. This is completely wrong.
You're married, Ranbir. I can't do this' she said as she tried to let go of his hand but he only grasped hers tighter but didn't hurt her.

'Do you love me, Deepika?' he asked.
Deepika opened her eyes widely and looked at him shocked, 'What?'
'Do you love me, Deepika?' Ranbir repeated himself. He wanted to hear it from her. Even if her feelings has changed in those 7 months, she has to at least feel something towards him.
'Don't do this. Don't ask me this' she said and looked down as her eyes began to stung.

'I love you, Deepika. Only you' he said and grabbed her other hand and placed it on his heart.
'Nothing and nobody can tell me to say otherwise.
I love you and nothing is going to change that.
Not even Katrina' Ranbir said and held her hand closer to his heart tightly.

Deepika looked up at him. She wanted to tell him she loves him back but she couldn't.
Why couldn't he just understand that he was married and that they can never be together.

She roughly grabbed her own hands from his and walked to the other side of the room. She stopped walking and turned around, angrily
'Why can't you get that you're married?! You and I can never be together. It's over, Ranbir. It has been over for too long. So please, don't open old finished stories.' she said. Ranbir stood still, 'Do you really think our story was finished?' he asked.
'It has finished way too long ago. Please Ranbir, just leave. Go to your wife and forget about me.
Don't think about me because I'll never be yours again' she said as her own words hurt her.
It hurt her that she can never be his again.
It hurt her that he'll always be Katrina's.

'I don't want her, Deepika! I want you!' Ranbir yelled. He has had enough of this crap Deepika was saying. 'You can't have me! You're married!' she yelled back. 'Yes I'm married! But I love you, not her!' he said as he walked closer to her.
'You can't love me! Don't you get it?! I don't want to be this girl who you cheat with on your wife!' Deepika said as she didn't even notice him getting closer to her.

He stood right in front of her,
'You'll never be this girl.'
He said and crashed his lips on hers.