Chapter Fifteen

A couple of hours later Vanessa was sitting on one of the long couches in the living room reading a book about baby animals to Gwen and Faith when suddenly the entire family piled into the room. Vanessa looked at Kayleb questioningly and he came and stood behind her. He gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze before Rebecca stepped up and sat down beside of her. Rebecca laid a hand on Vanessa's knee and then looked at Kaitlyn.

"Kaitlyn, will you take Gwen and Faith to the kitchen please? There are some fresh baked cookies out there." Kaitlyn nodded and took both girls out of the room.

"What's going on?" Vanessa asked.

"Angela told us why you are acting distant today." Rebecca said gently. Vanessa glared at Angela who just shrugged.

"There's no such thing as privacy in this family." Bethany said tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"What I told Angela is true. What happened was my fault." Kayleb's hand tightened on her shoulder.

"No it wasn't." he said.

"Yes it was Kayleb. If it wasn't for me Vincent never would have come to your home. He never would have.... Done what he did. I don't understand how any of you can even look at me."

"Vanessa, I love you and I love Faith and what happened wasn't your fault." Kayleb said.

'That's right dear." Rebecca said through red, tear swollen eyes. "None of us blame you for what happened."

"No we blame that heartless vampire." Kaylee said with anger.

"But I...."

"You what?" Kayleb asked. "You didn't do anything wrong. Vincent is the only one who has done anything wrong, Vanessa." She felt him press his lips against her hair and her heart filled with love and then shattered apart as she reminded herself that she would never see him again after tonight.

"You people are truly amazing." Vanessa said and she was surprised when tears filled her eyes. She did not normally cry in front of anyone. Weakness was not her thing.

"You people? What exactly do you mean by you people?" Lane asked with a grin as he wrapped his arms tight around Joey's tiny waist and pulled her close to him.

"She is learning what the rest of us mortal women learned when coming into this family. It is an amazing place to be." Angela said and Jake pulled her close to him and wrapped her in his arms. Vanessa found herself amused by the sight the two of them made. Everything about Jake was deadly, intense and hard. Angela looked kind, vulnerable and soft. They were complete opposites but a blind person could see how much Jake loved his mate when he looked at her.

Vanessa didn't realize that everyone in the family could see the same thing when Kayleb looked at her.

"Come to the kitchen with us, Vanessa, and eat some dinner. I made spaghetti and then I made some peach cobbler for dessert. It was always Evan's favorite." Rebecca said, standing up and wiping a tear from her face.

Vanessa nodded and stood up and watched the family walk away toward the kitchen. Kayleb came around the couch and pulled her into a tight hug.

"Please don't ever think that any of us blame you for what happened, Vanessa. It was not your fault. Vincent will die, I can promise you that. He will not ever get his hands on you or Faith. Not as long as I've got a breath left in my body."

Vanessa pulled away from him and he took her hand as they walked toward the kitchen.

"I love you." Vanessa whispered. She had wanted to leave without telling him. Hoping that somehow that could save him pain but she couldn't leave without letting him know what he meant to her. She was surprised when her words caused Kayleb to trip over his own feet and he stumbled a few steps before righting himself.