Chapter Twenty-Three

Kayleb's strong arms closed around her waist and Vanessa trembled as he pressed his lips against her ear and whispered how much he loved her. Faith laughed happily as she ran in the sunshine with Scout on her heels. Vanessa looked behind her and saw the family all sitting around the picnic table, their jokes and laughter floating on the breeze.

"Are you gonna put that tray away or are you thinking of eating that leftover tapioca?" Janice asked with a chuckle. Vanessa was startled from her daydreams and looked at the heavy set middle aged nurse and then down at the tray full of patient 204's leftover dinner.

"I'm not that hungry yet." Vanessa replied as she sat the tray down on the cafeteria cart for the cooks to come pick up later. In truth Vanessa had not eaten much of anything in two weeks... Food seemed to have lost its appeal... Everything in life seemed duller and less colorful these days.

"I know you like to keep your private life private, sweetie, but you seem awfully sad these days..." Janice said putting her hand on her wide hip. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No. No I don't." Vanessa said quickly. "Thank you for asking though." Janice nodded and looked up at the clock.

"Looks like your shift is over, sweetie. Go on and spend some time with that angel of yours. That will help you feel better." Vanessa nodded and gathered her things before leaving the hospital. She drove to Faith's daycare, completely exhausted from her twelve hour shift, and was told that Faith had once again acted out during the day and made another student cry.

Faith had been acting out ever since leaving Kayleb and Vanessa didn't blame her because Vanessa had not been acting like herself either.

They walked into the house and Faith instantly ran back to her bedroom with Scout and Vanessa heard her door slam shut. Vanessa was too tired and emotionally sore to deal with her daughters temper just now. She wanted nothing more than to collapse on the couch for the rest of the night but dinner was not going to cook itself.

She cut the chicken she had thawed out that morning and put it and some frozen vegetable on to sauté before putting some water on to heat for rice. She was just walking back to the couch to sit for a moment when a knock came on the door.

"Steven?" Vanessa gasped when she opened the door and her ex-husband was standing there.

"Hi Nessa." he said, calling her the nickname he had always used before their son had died.

"What are you doing here?" Vanessa asked. Dealing with Steven was not something she had the energy for.

"I want to see Faith." he replied gently. Vanessa's eyes narrowed as she looked him up and down. His clothes were wrinkled but they were clean. He didn't stink. His face was freshly shaven and his eyes looked clear.

"You seem different." she said as she moved aside and let him walk in.

"Let's just say that someone said some things to me that I needed to hear and I've been over two weeks clean and sober now. I want to be a real father to Faith... I've missed out on too much." Vanessa wanted to believe him. Faith needed her father, especially now that her mother was living in a fog.

"She's in her room playing. You are welcome to stay and eat dinner with us."

"Thank you, Nessa, I won't let you down this time. I promise." Steven said reaching out for her hand. Vanessa pulled away.

"Go spend time with your daughter." Steven's shoulders fell.

"Right... I should have known that bridge had been burnt." he replied.

"Blown up with a whole truckload of C-4 explosives." Vanessa nodded in agreement.

"Well you'll make some man real happy someday. I just wish I hadn't let you get away." Steven said sadly. Vanessa felt her already shattered heart get a new crack.