Chapter One

"We've got another one reported." Kaylee said as she tossed the folder down on Kayleb's desk. Kaylab ran a hand through his spiky red hair and leaned back in his chair as he picked the folder up and glanced through the pictures which showed the same bloody scene that they had seen over a dozen times already. He tossed the folder back down on the desk and sighed.

"Who the hell is this freak?" Before Kaylee could reply Chief Michaels walked up and slammed his meaty hand down on Kayleb's desk. Kayleb looked up at his red face and varicose vein covered nose and waited for the outburst he was sure was coming.

"Why is this murdering psychopath still running loose?!" he bellowed as his breath blew his wiry gray mustache and Kayleb was reminded of some kind of living insect with hundreds of tiny legs... 'A millipede,' he thought. 'The chief has a giant millipede on his face.'

"Are you listening to me!" Chief Michaels demanded and Kayleb tore his eyes away from the living creature above his lip and looked up at his angry blue eyes and he noticed that the whites of his eyes were looking slightly yellow.

"Sir, I think maybe you should go have your liver checked, you're looking a bit yellow." Kaylee threw him a look that clearly said 'shut your mouth' and he shrugged and barely held back a laugh.

"You think this is funny?" the chief demanded as his cheeks reddened and Kayleb could practically see his hypertension kicking in as his blood pressure rose. "Sixteen children and their families dead! You are the supernatural task force. You are paid to put a stop to supernatural crime and yet this jackass is still running free!"

"In case you hadn't noticed, our job is one hundred times harder than yours. Our criminals can quite literally just disappear and they don't exactly leave fingerprints or witnesses." Kayleb replied as he threw open the folder and began looking back through the photos. The chief moved away from his desk and looked at Kaylee.

"You better find this jackass or you're both going to live to regret it." he warned and then he stormed away and they heard the door to his office slam shut. Kayleb stood up and rubbed his hand over his freckled face.

"I'm off the clock." he said. Kaylee shook her head.

"What are you talking about? We just had a triple homicide!" she exclaimed. Kayleb shrugged.

"Stupid mortals. We've warned them. Keep your children with you. Sleep with wooden stakes. Put garlic out. Invest in holy water and hang up some crosses. Do they listen? Hell no they don't listen."

"Kayleb, these are children." Kaylee reminded him and he shrugged again.

"Not my problem." he replied and then he felt the need to defend himself when he saw the look of angry disbelief on his twin sisters face. "Look we've tried to find him and we can't. We even had Uncle Jake see if he could track him but he couldn't. There isn't a damn thing we can do to stop him unless he messes up or goes after the wrong mortals and gets his vampiric ass kicked. Now I'm leaving. I pulled the nightshift and I'm tired." Kayleb patted his sister on the back and then walked away.

***

"Grandma! Where is my purple tank top!" Kaitlyn's voice yelled up the stairs.

"Which one dear, you have a million of them." Rebecca called back down to her granddaughter.

"The one that matches my skinny jeans!" she yelled back and then she winced when she heard a door slam and Jake's angry voice growled,

"Another one! Another damn teenage girl! I am moving out!" He came stomping down the stairs in nothing but a pair of black pajama bottoms with his long black hair sticking out in all directions.