Chapter Nineteen

Vanessa wondered what was going on below her. She could hear the muffled sound of yelling and she had heard what sounded like gunshots. Was she going to get lucky and someone had come to kill Vincent? They would find her and set her free and she could go back to her daughter and to Kayleb. Or what if whoever was attacking Vincent was no better than Vincent and he or she would continue where Vincent had left off with her.

Vanessa jumped to her feet and backed against the wall when she heard shouts coming from behind the thick wooden door to her room.

"Get the hell off of me, you stinky bastard!" She recognized Angela's voice and there was a loud thud before the door burst open and both Angela and Joey came inside. They were covered in blood and cuts and bruises but they were smiling and Angela shouted with relief when she saw Vanessa.

"You're alive!" she exclaimed. "We were so worried! You were very stupid to run off like that."

"I..."

"Don't try to justify it. Either way it was stupid. We are family now and we have to stick together. No self sacrificing. Your mate has been going absolutely crazy."

"Kayleb? Where is he?" Vanessa asked. Joey walked over and grabbed the chain holding her to the wall with both hands. She snapped it apart as if it was a stick and Vanessa's eyes widened.

"When I mated to Lane I got werewolf strength." Joey said in response to her unspoken question. "And the men and Kaylee are downstairs with the rest of the sub demons and Vincent."

Vanessa looked over at Angela, who was standing by the door and screamed a warning as a sub demon crept up behind her. Angela rolled her eyes and delivered a back kick to the subs stomach before turning and slicing her knife across its neck, nearly severing its head.

"I hate those things." she said. "Now come on and let's get back downstairs." Vanessa followed after Angela and Joey brought up the rear. Vanessa felt her stomach turn and if she had had any food in it, she would have thrown it back up at the sight and smell of the many dead subs along the hallway.

When they entered the main room, bodies were everywhere. Some were headless, others just bloody messes, and some were even charred and burnt. And then she caught sight of her mate and family locked in a deadly battle with Vincent.

She did not recognize the blond man that was holding Kaylee in his arms as she bled freely. She was shocked when the man seemed to glow as he kissed Kaylee's pale forehead and Vanessa could see his energy flowing into her. She wondered if maybe he was an angel since that is what he looked like.

Hunter, Jake, Lane and Kayleb were circling Vincent. Vincent was looking scared and desperate as he hissed at all of them. Vanessa was relieved to see that while Kayleb was bloody and covered in wounds, he looked okay. Lane lunged at Vincent and was quickly sent flying backward and his head cracked against the stone wall with so much force it cracked.

"Lane!" Joey screamed and she ran to him where he lay bleeding from his ears and nose. He managed a smile.

"I'm fine slayer. Just a broken head... There wasn't anything too important up there to damage."

Vanessa heard Angela scream behind her and turned to see three sub demons trying to drag her away. Jake instantly turned away from Vincent and leapt at the subs. Vanessa turned back to Vincent just in time to see Hunter go flying through the air and land with a thud against the far wall.

This left Kayleb alone facing Vincent.

"I bit her, Kayleb. I marked her." Vincent hissed. Vanessa saw Kayleb's features contort with rage at Vincent's words. She understood the animalistic light that came into his brown eyes. The wolf in him was clearly very angry that Vincent had bitten her. Kayleb lunged at Vincent and Vanessa watched in horror as the two of them battled. Vincent's nails ripped Kayleb's flesh as Kayleb turned to his wolf form and his teeth tore into Vincent.