Chapter Eleven

She laughed at loud at the scene that greeted her eyes when she opened that door. Kayleb and the three girls were sitting cross legged on the floor with tea cups and tiny plates in front of them. The girls had obviously decided that Kayleb needed decoration and had adorned him with a bright pink tiara, a plastic gemstone necklace and a thick pink boa scarf.

He was holding his tiny tea cup and was just lifting it to his lips, with his pinky raised, when Vanessa's laughter filled the air. He jumped to his feet and tossed the cup aside when he saw her.

"Uh... We were uh..."

"We're having a tea party mommy! Kayleb was being a princess!" Faith said jumping up and running over to her. Vanessa nodded as she bit her lip to keep herself from laughing again.

"I see that. Nice tiara." Kayleb's cheeks flushed red as he yanked the tiara off his head and tossed it aside.

"Here's your breakfast." Vanessa said holding out the plate. Kayleb took it and sat down on the bed.

"Thanks." he said as he began eating. She seemed to be happier today and the sound of her laughter had been like music to his ears but he was afraid to speak because he might say something to bring back her angry, defensive side.

"Do you want some tea mommy?" Faith asked. Vanessa nodded and sat down on the floor. It was nice to see that her daughter was still playing and happy considering all she had been through in the last couple of days. Kayleb watched his mate as she went about the rituals of a tea party with three young girls. He had made the decision to not tell her about his fight with Vincent or the threats that Vincent had made. If he was right about her, then she would be the type of woman to turn herself over to the vampire in order to keep everyone else safe and that was something that Kayleb couldn't let happen.

Faith stood up and walked over to him and he looked at her questioningly. She grinned her crooked little grin and pointed a tiny finger at his neck.

"Can I have the scarf and necklace for my mommy?" she asked. Kayleb quickly sat his plate down and took off the necklace and feathery scarf. He handed them to Faith and she ran over and put them on Vanessa who laughed happily. Kayleb was glad the little girl had only asked for the jewelry because he had a feeling that he couldn't say no to her. She could ask him for the moon and he would figure out some way to get it to her.

He was surprised by this because he had never been a 'kid' person. He had never played with his nieces and nephews but when Faith had come into his room this morning with her tea party set and asked him if he would have a tea party with her, Gwen and Kaitlyn, he had been helpless to say no.

He finished eating his breakfast and then stood up. His body was still a little sore and he stretched his arms up in the air to work out the kinks. Vanessa glanced over right at that time and felt her mouth go dry. His black pajama pants were riding low on his hips and his gray muscle tank had raised up revealing the skin and the sexy v of muscle low on his stomach. She forced herself to look away but not before Kayleb saw the look in her eyes.

"Kaitlyn! Bring Gwen and Faith down here because we're about to go shopping!" Raquel's voice came from downstairs.

"Shopping?" Vanessa asked Kaitlyn. The girl nodded.

"Aunt Raquel is taking us." she said. Vanessa immediately looked over at Kayleb. He could see the unspoken question in her eyes and he pulled back the curtains to reveal the bright sun and blue sky.

"It's a pretty day for shopping." he said with a reassuring smile.

"Okay baby girl. Have fun and when you get home Hunter told me yesterday that he might teach us how to ride the horses today." Faith smiled happily and then the girls ran from the room and Vanessa began gathering up the tea party supplies.