Chapter Ten

Kayleb only made it to the living room of the family mansion. His head was pounding and he knew his skull was cracked and his nose was broken. His back was burning and the silver was weakening his system as it seeped into his blood. He had to get whatever was in his back out of his back.

It only took seconds before Jake, Angela, Raquel and Evan came running into the living room. They had smelled Kayleb's blood and pain and come running. Jake stepped over Kayleb and grabbed the knife, removing it from his back with one quick motion and a wet sucking sound.

"What happened?" Raquel asked as she crouched down beside her son and used her shirt sleeve to wipe some of the blood from his face.

"I went to Vanessa's house to get her some things. Vincent was there and he stabbed me in the back... The damn coward."

(Kayleb is okay.) Jake called to the rest of the family. Evan grabbed his sons hand and helped pull him to his feet. Angela laid a gentle hand on his arm and Kayleb felt her energy flowing into him and the pain in his head and back quickly disappeared. He still felt tired from the silver but he knew he would survive.

"What in the hell were you doing going back to that house alone? Didn't you think that it might be dangerous?" Evan demanded. Kayleb felt the normal irritation at his father and tried to hold his temper.

"I thought they might want some more clothes and things. I didn't think he would still be there and I definitely didn't expect him to jump me from behind. I figured he'd fight fair."

"They never do." Lane said coming down the steps with Hunter. "Damn vamps are sneaky bastards."

"Fido is in a mood." Hunter said matter of factly. Jake rolled his eyes and then turned back to Kayleb, who was covered in blood and looked dead on his feet. Jack looked down at the knife in his hand and he knew why. It was a thick blade that was hollow in the center and Jake was sure it had been full of liquid silver... These kinds of weapons were becoming more and more common and the liquid silver did a number on were creatures.

"What did Vincent say?" Jake asked. Kayleb hesitated momentarily. He knew he needed to tell them the truth but he also knew it was going to throw the family into turmoil just the way it had two years ago when Saraphine had been tormenting them.

"He wants Vanessa. He said if I didn't hand her over to him then he would start killing my pack one by one until I give him what he wants." Anger flashed across Jake's face and he shook his head.

"I'll kill him myself if he thinks he's going to lay a hand on my family."

"Let's just give him the damn woman and save ourselves a load of trouble." Lane said. He had meant it as a joke but Kayleb hadn't taken it as one. He leapt through the air, changing as he went and landed on his uncle. Lane changed as well, into a smaller silver wolf and the two of them fell to the floor in a pile of tearing claws and ripping teeth.

(I was joking!) Lane yelled. He was currently getting his ass kicked by his much younger nephew who was still suffering from silver poisening... That fact didn't do much for Lane's self esteem but then again he never had been much of a fighter.

(You won't give him my mate!) Kayleb growled, his mind blank to all reason and logic.

(I won't!) Lane promised and then he yelped loudly when he felt Kayleb's teeth close on his leg.

(Dammit. Jake! Evan! Hunter! Don't just stand there! Do something!) Lane begged.

(You'll learn to keep your mouth shut.) Jake replied with a shrug. Angela put her hands on her hips and glared at him and he sighed with defeat. He changed into his wolf form which was much bigger than either of the other two wolves.