Kayleb and Vanessa

"Mommy, the monster won't let me sleep." Nicole groaned as she opened her eyes and looked at her sleepy four year old daughter.

"There is no such thing as monsters." she whispered as she rubbed her tired eyes.

"He keeps laughing at me." her daughter replied while picking at the sleeve of her footie princess pajamas.

"You're just having dreams." Nicole replied. She threw an irritated glance at her snoring husband, wondering how men seemed to sleep through everything and then stood up.

"Come on and mommy will tuck you back in." She took her daughters hand and led her back to her room. The princess nightlight in the corner cast shadows across the room as Nicole helped her daughter into bed and kissed her forehead as she pulled her covers up to her chin.

"Will you sing the monster monster go away song, mommy?" Nicole nodded and knelt down beside the bed.

"Monster, monster go away. Let this child dream and play. Only good is allowed in here, nothing to cause my baby fear. Go back to the place where monsters dwell. Over the lake and down through the dell. Please let my angel girl get sleep. No more here are you allowed to creep."

"Thank you, mommy." Nicole smiled and kissed her forehead one last time.

"You're welcome, my sweet girl. Get some sleep and mommy will take you to the park tomorrow."

"Okay." her daughters voice was tired and weak. Nicole gave her one last glance as she walked out of the room and pulled the door closed. She walked back to her bedroom and slipped beneath the covers. She curled up against her husbands broad back and drifted back to sleep.

She and her husband both jumped from the bed nearly an hour later when their daughters ear piercing scream filled the air. Nicole felt panic fill her and that panic increased and turned to raw terror when her daughter's screaming suddenly stopped and silence filled the air.

"Joe!" She gasped as she felt her heart drop into her stomach. Joe had a look of equal terror on his own face and the two of them ran to their daughters room. They threw open the door and Nicole vomited at the sight that they were met with. The room was covered in blood and the scent of it clogged their nostrils. Their beautiful daughter was lying lifeless, bloody and broken in her bed.

Joe ran to the bed as Nicole clung to the door frame for support and screamed.

"Call the police!" Joe shouted to her. Nicole couldn't seem to make her feet move and then she saw the closet door beginning to open.

"Joe, look out!" she screamed as a dark shadow moved so quickly from the closet she could barely see it. Joe did not even have time to yell before the attacker was on him and his blood was spraying across Nicole's face.

Nicole stood in terrified shock as the attacker turned to her. He was tall and broad. His eyes were a bright violet color that glowed in the light from the nightlight. He sneered at Nicole and she saw fangs dripping with blood. A vampire. This wasn't supposed to happen. Vampires had rules they were supposed to follow.. They weren't supposed to kill her husband and daughter!

"Monster!" she gasped as she backed away from him. He stalked toward her, looking very much like a cat stalking a mouse.

"Monster, monster go away. Let this child dream and play. Only good is allowed in here, nothing to cause my baby fear. Go back to the place where monsters dwell, over the lake and down through the dell. Please let my angel girl get sleep. No more here are you allowed to creep." he said in a deep, eery voice that caused a chill to run down her spine. She backed away until she was against the hallway wall and then she let out a scream as he launched himself toward her and sunk his fangs deep into her neck.