Chapter Fourteen

Kaylee stood out in the foggy sunrise and looked down at her parent's grave while clutching the wooden stake in her hand so tightly it cut into her skin and caused bright red droplets of blood to drip onto the dew covered grass.

She took a deep breath to try to calm her growing anger when a familiar, comforting scent filled her nose. In the next instant she felt two strong arms wrap around her waist from behind and pull her close.

"Damien." she whispered as she leaned against him.

"I'm sorry, Kaylee." his deep soothing voice washed over her and she breathed in the rugged, smoky scent of the only man she had ever let herself fall in love with.

"Why Damien? Why my parents?"

"I wish I could take your pain away." he said gently.

'I want to kill him. I want to shove this stake through his heart." she said holding up the stake. Damien turned her in his arms and took the stake from her gently as she looked up at his face. Pain flashed in his light blue eyes as he looked down at the bloody cuts on her palm. He brought her palm to his mouth and pressed his firm lips against her bloody hand. She felt his demonic magic at work as the pain disappeared from her hand and the cuts healed.

"I will do what I can to help make that happen." Damien promised as he smoothed her red hair from her face and gave her a sad half smile.

"I know you will. You have always been there for me." Kaylee replied looking up at his pale face and running her hand through his blond hair. She saw a sadness cross his features and she frowned.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine. I'm just thinking about how unfair life can be at times. People who do not deserve to die are killed every day." he replied. 'And people who are made to be together are forced to be apart,' he thought to himself.

"Why don't you come inside with me, Damien? I need you with me."

"Are you sure?" Damien asked looking up at the large log mansion. "Your family will not welcome a demon into their home."

"They will once they know that you are not like the others. You are good. There is nothing evil about you."

"There is darling, just never toward you. I would do anything for you."

"Why?" Kaylee asked suddenly. Damien raised a brow.

"Why what?"

"Why would you do anything for me? Why have you always been here when I've needed you for twenty years?"

'Because you are my mate you beautiful wolf... But I have used demon magic to hide that from you because I know your family would never give us peace.' he thought to himself.

"Because I care very deeply for you." he replied as he brushed a gentle kiss to her cheek. "I do not think I should go in there right now. Everyone is angry and upset and they do not need to learn that you have befriended a demon just now. I will go find what I can about Vincent." Kaylee nodded because she knew he was right. Demons were considered evil and though she knew that Damien was not, there was no way she'd be able to convince her family of that before they killed him.

"Okay." she whispered sadly. Her heart broke whenever she had to say goodbye to Damien. She wanted nothing more than to be with him forever... But he was not her mate and she knew that one day she would have to say goodbye to him and give herself to someone else.

"Take care of yourself, Kaylee." he warned. "Stay safe." He gave her one last long look and then turned and faded into the shadows of the forest. Kaylee watched the place where he had disappeared for a long time before turning and walking slowly back to the house.