Chapter Sixteen

Vanessa waited a long time. She waited until she was sure that Kayleb was sleeping soundly behind her before she slid herself out of his arms and climbed out of the bed. She was just finishing pulling on her clothes when his voice from the bed made her jump and turn quickly.

"Where are you going?" he asked, watching her through sleep heavy eyelids. She forced a smile onto her face.

"I'm thirsty." she replied. "I'm going to go get a glass of water."

"I'll get it." Kayleb said, rising up on his elbow. Vanessa shook her head quickly.

"No. I'll get it." she said. "Go back to sleep." Kayleb nodded and flopped back down on the pillow. Vanessa could tell he was only half awake.

"Bring me up an apple." he said. "A green one."

"A green apple?" Vanessa asked dryly as she remembered that he had said she smelled like a green apple. He gave her a sleepy lopsided grin that made her heart beat faster.

"Smelling you makes me hungry."

"How romantic." Kayleb gave a raspy chuckle and curled up to his pillow.

"I never promised you romance." he replied.

"Go to sleep. I'll bring you an apple." Vanessa said. She wanted to kiss him one last time but she didn't trust herself to keep from crying so she just turned and walked out of the room.

She walked as silently as she could downstairs and was relieved when she made it to the kitchen without seeing anyone. She slipped on her shoes, which were by the kitchen door and then wondered how she was going to find Frances. He and Kimberly could be anywhere in the mansion and she couldn't just walk around searching for him because someone in the family would hear her and come out to see what she was doing.

"Frances." she whispered. She waited for a response but got none. "Dammit, I thought vampires had super hearing." she mumbled.

"We do." a cold voice said from the door. "I was outside." Vanessa turned and nearly screamed when she saw him standing there. He looked so much like Vincent that it took a moment for her to realize that he wasn't.

"Frances?" she asked. He nodded.

"Yes. And you are Vanessa. My brother's latest conquest."

"I need a favor." Vanessa said. Frances raised an arched brow and looked down his long thin nose at her.

"What?"

"I need you to give me to your brother." Frances looked genuinely surprised by her request and he shook his head.

"Your mate will kill me if I do such a thing."

"It's not his choice." Vanessa replied. "Either I turn myself over to him or else he's going to keep hurting and killing this family."

"They are happy to protect you." Frances argued.

"I can't let them do that. I know they will protect my daughter and that's all I'm worried about. If I turn myself over to Vincent, he will have no more reason to come after Kayleb and his family."

"This will not make them happy." Frances said.

"This will save their lives." Vanessa countered. After a long pause Frances finally nodded.

"Where am I taking you?" he asked.

"Where is your brother?"

"The last place he was seen was your home. Kayleb was attacked and nearly killed there just the other night."