Chapter Twenty-two

(Kayleb, it's been two weeks... The case load is really piling up. The chief is going crazy and I could really use your help.) Kayleb groaned and threw his pillow across the room, as if that would shut Kaylee's voice up in his head.

(Kayleb... You have to get up out of bed sometime.) Kaylee said.

(No I don't.)

(Please. I really do need your help. I can't handle all of this on my own.) Kaylee was lying of course but she was desperate to get her brother out of his bed. Two long weeks he'd been lying there. He wouldn't eat or speak. Just hearing his telepathic voice filled her with happiness.

(Leave me alone.) Kayleb said and he broke the link. He threw his legs over the side of the bed and rubbed his face. If his sister needed him that badly then he had to get out of bed and go to her.

He stood and pulled on some clean clothes. He put his badge around his neck and ran his hand over his messy hair that was getting a little too long. He knew he probably looked like hell but he didn't care. He had no reason to care about anything anymore. He wished he could just lie in the bed and die but he'd been trying that for two weeks and it hadn't happened.

He cracked his neck, rolled his aching shoulders and then dashed himself to the police station.

"Damn it!" Barry Hicks yelled as Kayleb once again knocked over a freshly stacked pile of folders. Kayleb didn't bother apologizing. He just walked over to his desk, which was full of papers and folders, and slammed his head down.

"You came." Kaylee said with shock. He looked like hell but he was alive and he was out of the bed.

"You said you needed my help. Now give me something to do ... I need something to do." Kaylee nodded as she looked at the top of her brothers head and grabbed a file.

"There's a gang of subs that's been hanging out in an alley behind that nightclub in Hagarty and the chief wants them to move out of there because they are causing trouble with people leaving the club at night." Kayleb nodded, the air shimmered and he was gone.

He returned less than ten minutes later and his clothes were covered in blood, though none of it was his.

"What happened?" Kaylee asked as she raised her brow and looked up at him.

"They aren't going to be causing any more trouble." he replied. Kaylee slammed the file she was reading closed and shook her head.

"You were just supposed to talk to them and tell them to leave... Not kill them!"

"You never said I couldn't kill them. You have to be more specific about what you want." Kayleb replied. Burning off some steam had felt good and he sat down at his desk to start looking through the papers that were piled up there.

"Kayleb?" Kayleb looked up at the chief to see the millipede was still there and gave a small wave in greeting.

"Hello chief."

"Nice of you to grace us with your presence once again." he said dryly. "Good work dealing with that Vincent situation. I'm glad the killer is finally dead and parents can sleep soundly again." Kaylee saw Kayleb's eyes go right back to looking pain filled and sad and she wished she could smack the chief right on the back of his balding head.

"I'm trying to get some work done, chief." Kayleb said burying his head in the file he was looking through about a string of murders of mortal men who were picking up prostitutes and getting more than they bargained for when the vampire hooker would drain them dry and take their money.

"You could solve that one quick. Just head over to that part of town tonight and start picking up hookers. Eventually you'll find the right one and until you do, you'll get to have fun with all of the wrong ones." the chief said with a chuckle. Kayleb growled and Kaylee intervened.