Chapter Twelve

"Mommy this is so much fun!" Faith squealed from atop Laney's black mare. Hunter was leading the mare around the yard while Faith rode and smiled and from ear to ear.

"You are doing so good, baby!" Vanessa replied. The scent of hamburgers frying filled the air as Evan cooked on the grill. There was a long picnic table set up and most of the family was already sitting and waiting on dinner. All except for Kent and Jordan who had gone to California to spend some time with their son that lived there.

Vanessa looked over at Kayleb who was currently deep in a heated conversation with his sister. Every now and then Vanessa would hear the words work or fired be thrown up in the air and she wondered what was going on.

Vanessa walked over to the large wooden jungle gym and sat down in one of the swings. She became lost in her thoughts as she stared down at the dirt at her feet and nearly screamed with surprise when suddenly the swing began moving. She looked behind her to see Kayleb grinning down at her.

"You looked like you could use a push." he said. Vanessa smiled back and looked back out over the yard while Kayleb pushed her gently.

"So what were you and Kaylee arguing about?" she asked.

"The chief is mad because I told him I don't know when I'll be back." he replied.

"Why would you tell him that? I just assumed you took today off because you were attacked by those lions last night." Kayleb shook his head even though she couldn't see it. He had taken today off because he'd had more important things to do like tea parties with little princesses and a long walk in the woods with a beautiful woman.

"I'm not leaving until we have this mess with Vincent solved." he said matter of factly.

"What if you get fired?" Kayleb laughed.

"I don't care. It's not like I need the money. I was just working there to give me something to do with my time. Now I've found something else to do with it."

"What's that?" Vanessa asked and then she felt sparks shoot through her when he stopped the swing and she felt his warm breath blowing across her ear, causing trembles to run down her spine.

"That was a silly question." he whispered and then she felt him smile against her skin before moving away and pushing her again. Vanessa swore her legs had turned to jello and she was thankful that she was sitting in this swing or else she probably would have fallen.

"Faith is having fun." Kayleb said pointing over at the girl who was now waving to the crowd of onlookers as if she was a princess in a parade. Vanessa laughed.

"Yes she is. It's good to see her having fun. I just wish this threat wasn't looming over us."

"It'll be gone soon." Kayleb promised. Just then a growl filled the air and they looked over to see Jake rising from the picnic table, his golden eyes flashing as he stared off into the darkening woods. Kayleb breathed deep and he smelled it too... Sickly sweet.

"What's going on?" Vanessa demanded but no one answered her before Jake, Kayleb, Evan and Charles changed into a pack of very angry looking wolves and ran off into the woods.

"Mommy did you see that?" Faith exclaimed as Hunter lifted her off the horse and led it back to the barn. Vanessa nodded as she jumped from the swing and led her daughter over to the picnic table.

"What's going on?" Vanessa asked.

"Nothing." Angela replied quickly.

"Yeah it's quite common for that bunch of weirdo's to just run off snarling into the woods... That's how they pass time." Lane added as he walked up to the grill and took over hamburger duty.