Chapter 32

[ edited on June 26, 2020 ]

Brian paused from inspecting his newly-healed leg injury and looked up to see who entered. "What's the verdict?"

Alexandra sighed, left the door open for Quinn, and sat down on the beige bed beside her brother. "I won't be allowed to leave this place until we find out who paid the rogues." Despite her somber tone, she was glad that Brian's wolf finally came around to aid his healing. "Not that it's a bad thing. I mean, I am bound to stay here at some point."

"House arrest, it is." Brian watched Quinn enter the room. The guard acknowledged him with a nod and stood stiffly at the side. "I suppose you're here to keep an eye on her?"

As an answer to his question, Quinn nodded again. Nicholas stayed behind to discuss some things with the council. Her cross-examination earlier opened up a new problem for them to figure out. King Charles' involvement would have to be determined and she wasn't sure what Nicholas' take would be.

Alexandra breathed out a sigh and finally decided to apologize to Quinn. On their way to Brian's room, none of them bothered to strike a conversation.

His shoulders relaxed and he lightly smiled. "I should've known better than to try and stop the silver wolf." Brian furrowed his brows as he looked at Alexandra then at Quinn, and back again. Before Alexandra could tell him how she and Quinn met, someone knocked.

Quinn glanced at Brian for approval and opened the door after receiving a nod. Carlos peered in and looked relieved to see that Brian had recovered. Brian smiled and stood to meet Carlos halfway. While they talked, Angelina stepped into the room. Alexandra ground her jaw and stood up. She glared at the rogue alpha. Quinn tensed up, ready to jump in, upon sensing the impending argument between the two.

"Thank you so much for supporting me out there." Alexandra stared her down, stressing the hint of sarcasm in her statement. Carlos stopped talking, his brows lined with worry as he looked at his sister.

Angelina's lips thinned, mirroring the look of dislike in Alexandra's eyes. "Not as much as I appreciate your betrayal." Alexandra tried not to flinch at her choice of words.

Carlos stepped in between them in an effort to diffuse the situation. "I'm sure my sister has a reason why she told the prince about your pack." He turned to Alexandra. "And Angelina had to leave the room because she needed to give Jack a call."

Alexandra appreciated her brother's effort to maintain a neutral position. She allowed herself to relax a bit. Angelina was still her brother's mate. The last thing she wanted was to upset Carlos. The alpha female, however, crossed her arms and continued to seethe with anger. Carlos placed a hand on her shoulder and, after sending a brief apologetic glance at Alexandra, shepherded her out of the room.

Huffing out the last bit of tension from her shoulders, Alexandra sat on Brian's bed and stared at the wall. It wasn't like she told Nicholas where Angelina's rogue pack hid. Her eldest brother, able to piece the information from the short exchange together, asked why did she tell Nicholas.

Alexandra sent him a blank look. Brian's face reddened and he rubbed the back of his neck. He apologized. He still hasn't met his mate and that was the reason why he didn't immediately understand her situation. Her only response was a shrug. Brian often thought too much.

Not for the first time that day, Brian was once again stopped from voicing his thoughts out by the sound of knocking. Quinn didn't get the chance to open the door as the person behind it did it himself. Christian slipped half of his body in and looked around the room as if he were looking for someone. "Where's Carlos?"