Chapter 14

[ Edited on June 3, 2016 ]

_____

It was embarrassing to knock on someone's door while soaking wet from head to toe. After a few awkward moments of shifting his footing and tapping his thighs, the door opened and showed a surprised Sam. "Hi neighbor!" Christian said, giving him a wide smile before pulling him in for a hug. He and Sam weren't really neighbors, but it was fun to pretend it was true.

Sam groaned and pulled away. "I just changed, Chris! I can't believe you!" Despite his protest to being wet, there was a hint of a smile on his lips. "What are you doing here anyway?"

He shrugged before wiping his hair away from his forehead. "I need help."

"Help?" asked Sam as he raised an eyebrow. "The alpha's asking for help?" Christian glared at him before explaining Alexandra's dare. His friend whistled as he leaned against the doorframe. "BRB," he said before disappearing inside his house.

Not wanting to be rude, Christian remained outside and waited for his friend to return with a more useful plan in catching a fluffball in such weather conditions. Thunder boomed from the sky and he looked up just in time to see forks of lightning in the clouds.

Eventually, Sam returned with a backpack carelessly slung over one of his shoulders. "Let's go, Romeo,"

Christian rolled his eyes as the two of them marched back towards the forest. Knowing Sam, he must have packed everything they needed in his trusty backpack. Christian was actually enjoying the peace and quiet until Sam opened his mouth. "So, how's the 'I think I'm mates with her' problem going?"

He only shrugged as an answer.

"Oh, okay," said Sam. "You don't want to talk about it, I get it."

They trudged on for a few more minutes before Sam held his hand up. Christian stopped as well and realized that there was a hole before them — a fluffball hole, to be exact. It was big enough for them to squeeze through, and the thought made him nauseous.

Backing away, Christian shook his head. "N-no, no way. I'm not going in there," said Christian as he continued to stare at the dark hole. Sam rolled his eyes at him and unzipped his bag, not caring if his things were starting to get wet from the rain.

"This is waterproof," Sam said as he handed him a flashlight headband. When he merely stared at it in his hands, Sam sighed. "Come on, Chris, for Alexandra,"

Christian gulped before nodding nervously. He was doing a good job of not freaking out until he was standing before the hole again.

"Sam, please, bud, please don't make me do this," he pleaded, shaking his head as he started to hyperventilate. "I might get lost in there... or worse, I might get stuck down there," continued Christian, not noticing how Sam rolled his eyes at him.

"You're not going to get lost or get stuck in there, Claustrophobe," he pulled out a rope from his bag and tied one end to the nearest tree. "That's why you have this to find your way back." He forced Christian to sit down on the ground.

It didn't do any good to calm Christian down. "Sam, I've changed my mind," he nervously said as he started to shuffle away from the hole. "I can't do this."

Sam groaned. "Chris, where's your sense of adventure? I mean, you get all girly when it comes to things like this," he said, gesturing towards the hole. Christian gritted his teeth and glared at him. Sam is definitely trying to push his buttons by wounding his pride. "What would Alexandra think?"

He batted his eyelashes at Christian, which made his anger flare up. "Oh, the alpha's scared of a little fluffball hole? I can't believe this." Having enough of Sam's taunting, Christian clenched his jaw and tied the rope around his waist. Sam grinned and patted his head. "Attaboy," said Sam.