Chapter 29

[ edited on May 17, 2020 ]

"What if it's a trap?" asked Christian. Alexandra didn't say anything. As creeped out as she was with Thaddeus, she felt like they should at least start with Azi. They had no other lead other than what Thaddeus gave them.

She hid behind a toppled-over table and began to map out the best and safest way for them to cross. Christian bent down beside her, surveying the area.

"King Charles knows about our plan," he said. Alexandra turned around to look at him, unable to believe his statement. "He's captured Sam and the rest. Carlos told me no one was answering when he tried to contact them. Xavier and Noah are still around, I think."

"How did he know?" Alexandra asked, alarmed.

"I think Thaddeus had something to do with that," he said.

"Okay, granted that you're right, I still don't see why we shouldn't confront Azi," she said. "We might get something useful out of him."

"Sure," he said sarcastically. "Let's go and hope he's up for a friendly conversation. Wait, no, he isn't. He's a maniac holding a gun."

Alexandra glared at him. "We have guns." She can't believe they were fighting over this.

"No. Our bullets are limited. If we run out, we'll be defenseless. I can't shift and neither can you," he said. "The food is poisoned. King Charles stupidly told me himself. Anyone who ate wouldn't be able to shift until tomorrow," he said as an explanation.

"That's one less thing to worry about. I didn't eat anything," she said, surveying the area. Alexandra noticed a black wolf fighting a rogue one. He was unaware of another rogue zeroing in on him. For some reason, she knew that this black wolf was Nicholas. She raised her gun and fired. The rogue wolf yelped and caught Nicholas' attention.

"What are you doing?" said Christian looking annoyed. Alexandra glared at him and said she was trying to save someone. He looked over and saw the black wolf attacking a wounded rogue wolf. "I just told you we have limited shots."

"You're saying Nicholas isn't worth a bullet?" Alexandra asked, ticked off with his statement.

"He's a big boy now," he said sarcastically. "He can handle himself." She chose to ignore his statement and busied herself with checking her gun. Realizing she needed to reload, she looked at him. He handed her some bullets before she could even ask for them.

Suddenly, a wolf smashed into the table they were hiding behind. They both stumbled back, the bullets scattering. As she scrambled to pick them up, the wolf leaped over the table and growled at Christian.

Alexandra's alarm grew when she realized that from the impact, he had dropped his gun, and now it was too far for them to reach. The wolf snarled, its teeth terrifyingly close to Christian. Her fingers were shaking and it was nearly impossible for her to reload her gun in time. Not knowing what else to do, she tightly gripped her gun's barrel and swung it against the wolf's head. The wood shattered from the impact. Yelping in pain, the wolf was thrown off of Christian. As it struggled to make sense of what happened, she dropped the rest of the gun and pulled Christian up to his feet.

"Thanks," he said. He quickly grabbed his gun and watched the disoriented wolf carefully. "Glad you didn't shift," he said.