Chapter 9

[ Edited on May 19, 2016 ]

_____

Some people believe that being a werewolf was a curse; a punishment that lasts for the rest of their lives. Werewolves deemed them wrong. Having the gift of shifting into a wolf at will was a beautiful thing for them. For Alexandra, having her gift working was quite difficult.

Every werewolf believed that being the silver wolf was an honor; a gift to all of them. Alexandra wanted to tell them that they were wrong. It was hard. She never knew when her fur would be normal and when it would be silver. There wasn't exactly a switch that she could easily reach and flip at will.

The last and final step was easy enough to do. Everyone watched in awe as she shifted, and what threw her into confusion was when everyone shifted and bent their heads low at her — even Alpha Ruben. It felt wrong. Alexandra didn't believe that she was fit to be the heir. She had absolutely no idea how to lead people, let alone rule over them.

What if someone tried to attack their pack? Alexandra wasn't sure if she'd be able to protect a kingdom if she wasn't able to protect her... mother.

All I did was love you. I distracted those men so that you could escape. I fought through death so that I can have you in my arms again. But what did you do? You left me. Alone. In the woods.

She tried to push away the illusion the kitsune used on her earlier. But the words flooded her mind before she could stop them. Alexandra tried to convince herself that it wasn't real. Her mother would never say something like that to her.

You left me.

The air around her suddenly felt like it lacked of oxygen, crippling her lungs as her heart started to beat erratically. Everyone's voices that were comforting a few minutes ago now felt like a large tidal wave of noise. Alexandra's eyes flitted around the room, desperate to find a way out of the large room filled with her pack members. Others were howling, happy that she was finally a part of their pack; some were congratulating her.

Alexandra, did you even love me?

Overwhelmed, she tried to make her way to the door. Some of the wolves stepped aside to let her pass, tails wagging as they happily barked at her.

If you did, then you should have stayed.

One wolf stepped in front of her, grinning as he told her how glad he was that she was the heir. Alexandra gulped and shook her head, slowly padding backwards to find another way out of the room.

You should have stayed, Alexandra.

A pained yelp from behind her made Alexandra jump. She turned just in time to see a wolf backing away from her, whimpering. The burnt skin on her shoulder wasn't left unnoticed by Alexandra. Coming closer, she tried to apologize, but a larger wolf leapt in front of her and ferociously snarled at her. Alexandra stepped away from the she-wolf's mate, completely horrified of herself and what she had done.

He menacingly snapped his jaws at her. Alexandra heard a growl from somewhere behind her before a familiar white wolf stepped protectively in front of her.

Seeing the opportunity, Alexandra took it and bolted towards the door, avoiding any other wolves lest she'd accidentally burn them with her fur. Avoiding her pack members came pretty easy, though. They parted immediately when she came at them.

Outside, the sun was already beginning to set. Long, thin strips of pink crawled through one side of the sky that would have made her stop and stare if she wasn't close to breaking down.