Chapter 22

[ Edited on August 17, 2016 ]

_____

Nights at the village were cold. Yet, the glow of the nocturnal firebirds extinguished the creeping hands of the icy air in the little village of misfits and undesirables. As she calmly sat there, legs dangling in the air and far from the lights hidden by the thick leaves of the trees below the village, Alexandra thought of how the days passed by. She thought of how she was able to withstand a year away from her family and loved ones.

It was dark without a firebird perched at a branch near you. Sometimes Alexandra found refuge with darkness, for it gave her time to clear her mind. In the village, everyone chattered among themselves, greeting and asking questions regarding a new tactic and how their little trading businesses went. To a passerby — even one with heightened senses — the light chatter from the village would appear to be covered by the crooning of the flock of firebirds. It wasn't that she hated the company of her friends. Sometimes, she just wanted to be alone.

A lone howl reached her ears, and her senses told her who was making it. Alexandra's heart wrenched, and she pursed her lips as she silently listened to the mournful and longing song he was making.

Christian was already the alpha of her pack. Alexandra asked herself if she was still a part of that pack; being absent for a year could have made others conclude that she was dead. Then, her mind would scold her for thinking such things. If they knew, they'd receive her with welcoming arms and hugs.

Come back to me.

She closed her eyes and shakily breathed in. Alexandra missed him. She wanted to relieve him of the pain, guilt and self-blame he was putting himself through. But she didn't know how. Angelina still haven't told her when she would be allowed to go back. Alexandra hoped that it would be soon.

More howls appeared, following after Christian, and she recognized Carlos' and Brian's apart from the others. Today was the very same day she was 'kidnapped', and Alexandra yearned to be with her family and Christian.

Shortly after the howls ceased, the footfalls of passersby reached her ears. Alexandra looked down and watched a group of wolves sniff through the undergrowth. She learned to ignore the tugging sensation in her heart whenever the search parties passed by the forest.

They were still searching for her.

***

A glowing bird squawked in surprise when her head suddenly popped out from a clump of leaves. Alexandra muttered an apology and hoisted herself up, feet lightly landing on the bamboo platform. Months of training really paid off, and she found herself walking with a hint of gracefulness. She thought this was good. "Hey Alexa," greeted Noah as she brushed some leaves off her shirt. He approached the firebird and, picking something from a jar in his arms, offered it a beetle.

The bird gratefully took it with a chomp. It seemed to have glowed brighter than before. Noah smiled at her before moving onto the next bird at the neighboring post — which was at the next platform. Alexandra gave the bird one last glance before walking down a hanging bridge.

She spotted Xavier talking with someone below, and Alexandra smiled when she noticed that Mac, Xavier's cat, was watching the exchange while sitting by his feet. Noah usually steered clear of his brother's cat, and with Paul's help, he was able to keep his allergy at bay whenever he and Xavier were in the same room together.