Chapter 13

[ Edited on June 3, 2016]

_____

When she said she wanted to fight Sam, Alexandra didn't really mean it. Sam was exhilarated when Brian told him and had his head set on sparring with her today. It sucked, really. Alexandra only had her wolf for a few days while Sam had his for an entire year already. The worse part of her 'training' with Brian and Sam was the absence of her best friend. Carlos dragged Christian away from her as soon as he finally realized that Carlos wasn't joking about the initiation.

Christian could have helped her out of this. It sucked, especially when Sam was raising a playful eyebrow at her while Brian told her about what he had in mind. Apparently, the only way for them to know that Alexandra's fur was in silver-mode (courtesy of Carlos) was for someone to actually touch her.

The idea was a horrible one, but it could help. Sam volunteered to do it in exchange for a wolf-to-wolf sparring session. Despite this, Alexandra scowled at him before they both shifted. Brian was going through the pages of his notebook — he tends to write a lot of notes when he's thinking — as they both went into position. He opened his mouth and Alexandra could only think of one word after that, and that one word was 'Ugh'.

One horrible and a downright embarrassing fight later, Alexandra was sitting on a log while scowling at nothing in particular. She was mad at Sam, who teased her about the spider in her duffel bag. Alexandra wasn't sure if he was bluffing or not so she left her bag back at the gym. Another thing that contributed to her foul mood was the realization that apparently, chanting 'turn into silver' to herself repeatedly was worthless. Sam managed to kick her butt because Brian kept telling her to try and turn her fur into silver. The problem was that she can't.

She looked up at the sound of thunder rumbling from the dark sky. Alexandra closed her eyes and felt a few drops of rain land on her face. Rain. She didn't know what to feel about rain. Sometimes, it made her happy; while in others, rain only contributed to the sadness she felt. Alexandra pursed her lips and opened her eyes, still staring at the dark clouds looming above her. Where was Christian?

She had no idea if Carlos was finished with him. In the meantime, she decided to merely sit still on her log and wait until the rain had completely drenched her.

The plip-plops of rain dropping on puddles surrounded her and Alexandra couldn't help but hum a little song she remembered. She felt light and happy as she sat still.

Drip, drip, drop little April shower.

She brushed the fact off that it was May and continued to hum as the steady tune of rain drops escalated into what resembled a roomful of people clapping. It started to pour and she finally decided to stand up from her log. Alexandra started to run back towards the edge of the forest providing a welcoming cover for her.

Biting back a smile, she pushed the wet strands of her hair behind her ear and ran her hands down her wet clothes, chuckling to herself as thunder continued to shudder the ground.

Today, the rain made her feel as if she had nothing to worry about; no possibility of King Charles hunting her down; not being the silver heir; and especially no strange rogues in their territory.

She breathed in and with a smile, Alexandra started to run back towards her house. A promising image of hot soup and a warm bath appeared in her head and her smile widened.

All of a sudden, she collided with something hard — a tree, perhaps? Alexandra stumbled back and was about to fall on her bottom when a hand shot out and held her own. Trees don't have hands, that was for sure. She blinked and looked up to see a familiar face looking equally shocked — and drenched — as her.