Chapter 15

[ Edited on July 11, 2016 ]

_____

Suddenly, a bright flash of light appeared, as if a bolt of lightning flashed through her room.

Alexandra gasped and turned around only to find herself standing behind a stranger. The cold breeze of the night sent chills down her spine. She had no idea what had just happened but the sight before her silenced her questions. The man crouched low behind a bush and lifted the sniper rifle he had a little. Her breathing hitched as her heart raced, the mixed atmosphere of emotions swirled around her.

He looked through the scope and waited. Alexandra walked towards him, and surprisingly, there was no sound; no leaves crunching under her weight and no twigs cracking. The full moon bathed the forest with its eerie glow and she could make out a figure of another man walking a distance from where they were.

As he passed by a shaft of moonlight seeping through the leaves above, Alexandra's breath hitched and she tried to steady her breathing. She knew that man. Her father continued to saunter down the forest trail, completely oblivious to the danger he was in.

Forgetting that it was all an illusion, she dove for the man just as he pulled the trigger. A sudden bright flash of light once again appeared before Alexandra was reminded that it was only a vision. "What was that?" asked Alexandra, realizing how her voice trembled and her eyes teared up at the thought of someone killing her father.

The boy gave her a look of sympathy before pursing his lips. "It's a vision of the future. I don't know when it will happen, but I'm certain that it will," he explained. Alexandra felt as if someone was choking her and brought her hands up to her neck. "I'm sorry, Alexa. But I think there's still a chance that you can still stop it from happening."

Gulping, she nodded and he disappeared with a pop.

***

Christian lifted his head and tried to fight the wave of exhaustion trying to overcome him. Beside him, Carlos was already snoring while Brian was leaning forward with an interested look in his eyes. His hands were resting on his knees while he tapped his foot. A loud gunshot jolted him out from his sleepy state and Christian looked around the room for any signs of an intruder but only found himself being laughed at by Brian.

"It's just from the telly, Chris," said Brian as he smiled.

Slowly nodding, Christian laid back against the sofa and watched as the murderer grinned evilly at them from the television. Carlos snorted, mumbled something about pizza and shifted his position so that his head was now resting on the armrest while his feet were on Brian's back. Brian glared at him before standing up from the sofa.

Christian was about to doze off again when suddenly, Alexandra bounded down the stairs and gave them an awkward wave and a smile. He sat up straighter and gave her a concerned look. Brian may not be able to see through his sister's facade but he could. Christian was certain that she was bothered about something and he stood up to comfort her.

"Hey, Prince." Alexandra said as he put his arm around her shoulders. "Did you see Father?"

It was Brian who answered her question. "Father went out for a walk a few minutes ago, why?"

Christian didn't miss the flash of alarm that swept across her face as she ran towards the window. Alexandra gazed up the sky and looked like she didn't believe what she was seeing. It was a full moon tonight, but Christian couldn't understand what was wrong with it.

Carlos shifted on the sofa again before giving out a short — and weird — howling sound before snoring again.

"No, no, no," said Alexandra as she pulled away from the window. Her hands were trembling and without another word, she ran out of the door. He and Brian exchanged confused glances before he shrugged. Brian sat down again and continued to watch the movie but Christian remained standing and staring at the half-open door.