Chapter 24

[ Edited on August 17, 2016 ]

_____

"So let me get this straight," said Christian, watching Angelina carefully. "You saved Alexa from the people who kidnapped her; helped her control her wolf; and now that you've returned her, you are planning to form a coalition between both of our packs?" He entwined his fingers together and rested them on his table. Right after Carlos left to retrieve his... boxers, Christian asked for a private talk with Angelina. She didn't seem to mind skipping lunch and followed him to his office. Alexandra was doing a good job at explaining the events to the others — minus Carlos.

"Yes," the alpha female said as she lifted her chin up to meet his eyes, sitting up straighter. "I believe you know this as well. The ball is the perfect opportunity to reveal her as the silver heir. The people need to know that an heir still exists." Yes, it was crucial to let them know. It could make them realize who their true ruler should be.

"And how do you propose we'd do that?"

Angelina's lips pulled up into a smile. "I have a plan, actually." Christian gestured for her to continue. "The king knows that Alexandra is still alive — but missing. We'll use the theme to our advantage, and some of us will be keeping a close eye on Alexandra. You, on the other hand, are already invited to this ball, and all I need you to do is to help some of my pack get inside the castle."

"And then?" asked Christian, and he wanted to know what role would Alexandra play in this and what Angelina was really planning. Of course, she is the silver heir, but what if the king recognizes her? She'd be dead. And Christian hated the thought of her dead. "You only told me half of it."

"Before I proceed, I want to know: Is there something going on between you and Alexa?" she said, watching him carefully. Christian nodded his head. There is something. He knew there was something.

"Are you two mates?" Her sudden question made him glare at her. This alpha female was very inquisitive. Christian hesitated in answering this. Her question felt like a slap, bringing him back to reality.

"Why are asking me that? Don't you trust me?" said Christian in an effort to retaliate. Angelina looked like she was biting back a retort, and she swallowed.

"I do," she finally said. "So if that's the case, she'll be by your side for the entire night until it's time — " she paused when someone knocked on the door.

"Come in," said Christian and Brian stepped inside along with Max, Angelina's father. Carlos moved to step inside but Brian closed the door on his brother's face, smirking to himself as he took a seat beside an offended Angelina. Christian raised an eyebrow at his beta. "Why'd you shut the door on Carlos' face?"

Brian opened his mouth to say something but the person on the other side of the door spoke, "What did I ever do to you?"

"He's doing it again," his beta groaned and buried his face into his hands while Carlos continued to speak.

"Doing what?" asked Angelina, looking over her shoulder and watching the door.

Christian shrugged. "Applying movie lines to situations he deems similar."

"What are you so afraid of?!"

Obviously finding his future-son-in-law amusing, Max shoved his fist towards his mouth and laughed silently while Brian groaned into his hands again.

"And then this is the part where you almost impale me with your ice-shard-thingies." Carlos said through the door, making Angelina's shoulders shake from laughing. "See? At least someone gets it."